Specialized Rockhopper Pro Evo - Any others for Llandegla?

jack264
jack264 Posts: 39
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
I've never been to Llandegla before, I'm not jumping straight in with a full suspension, so decided Hardtail is the way to go as it'll be handy for other purposes too. Currently do have a Claud Butler D27 which the fork is goosed on so can't use that either.

Kinda ended up on the Rockhopper Pro, which is £800 at Cyclesurgery and I'll try my best to to get the local Specialized Concept store to price match in Chester.

Any other options at this price point? I doubt I'll be going any further than Llandegla on this bike, maybe treks around Moel Famau and other general flat trails.

Cheers guys.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Rockhopper isn't great for the price. Have a look at the Boardman HT 650b Team.
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -650b-2014
    Better forks, brakes and transmission than the Specialized with an equally good frame. Plus if you join British Cycling you can get another 10% off.
  • jack264
    How long does it take for you to be able to get the British Cycling discount? As it's currently £60 off as well, so £710 or so for something superior, I'm clearly interested.

Also what about their full suspension which would be £840 after discounts applied?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -650b-2014
  • rockmonkeysc
    The BC membership takes half an hour to set up and you get your membership number straight away.
    The Boardman FS is also very good.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Have a look at Vitus bikes - they look superb and can be seen over at CRC's website - not so helpful for testing though - not sure if they have other dealers.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Just be careful you buy a bike you like the look of and the way it rides. A good spec for the price is only one thing that makes a bike a good buy. In single track recently they reviewed three £1,200 hard tails and much preferred the lower spec bike as it rode well for XC riding.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Boardman seems to get extremely good reviews whenever its in any test and to be honest, that XC28 fork on the Rockhopper is pretty terrible and is going to ruin the ride.
    The XC30 on the Boardman doesn't flex half as much.
  • jack264
    The FS isn't available anywhere near me within like 20 stores, insane. So that's out of the question. Though given that Cyclesurgery have dropped it to £2125, I'm unbelivably tempted on this Stumpy FSR Comp

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/specialized ... sting=true

Any pros or cons to this for the price point? Specializied retain their value quite nicely don't they? Their road bikes seem to, so I'm assuming the MTB's do as well. Is this too much for mostly Llandegla runs....though if I get into it, it'll last me me a while without the need to upgrade too I'd assume.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So is your budget? £800 odd or two odd grand?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jack264
    Money isn't an overly big issue. But I'd good value really, and something that would retain value for future purposes as long as it's kept in good nick.

Hardtail I'd ideally like to pay 750-1000 though. FS would 1800-2000(the Camber Evo falls into this price range but the Stumpy supposed to be better slightly over?)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    jack264 wrote:
    Money isn't an overly big issue. But I'd good value really, and something that would retain value for future purposes as long as it's kept in good nick.

Hardtail I'd ideally like to pay 750-1000 though. FS would 1800-2000(the Camber Evo falls into this price range but the Stumpy supposed to be better slightly over?)
    jack264 wrote:
    I'm not jumping straight in with a full suspension

Say wha?
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    jack264 wrote:

Well if money is no issue and you offered me an £850 Boardman (great as it is) or a £2,500 Specialized Comp Evo, I'd take the specialized. Even if it may be a nit more bike than you really need for Llandegla.

Hope this helps.

ps - worrying about re-sale value is not really a good place to start when buying a new bike. This isn't a car. It's a bike that you're going to throw down rocky shutes, over jumps, through axle deep mud and fall off numerous times. (at least I hope you are). Buy it to ride it, not re-sell it.