Wheel shaped objects...

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited August 2014 in Commuting chat
Well, hopefully better than that! I've tested them round the block and they seem OK but I might still take them to a proper wheel builder to check they are OK.

Took me most of the Tour de France to make them . The front was simple enough but the back took several attempts at every stage. The lacing confused me first and then, when I'd built the thing up, I decided that the dish was too far out for my OCD to cope with so I loosened everything up and started again. As it stands, the drive side seem perhaps too tight according to my Park Tools gauge and the NDS not tight enough. Obviously, if I loosen the DS a bit then to retain the dish I'd have to loosen the NDS as well. So on that basis hopefully it is OK as it is.

Anyway, busy with other things this coming week but the plan is to test them for a few days on the commute and if the behave there then I'll put them on the Look for a proper ride. And then maybe I can change the title of this thread!

BTW, the squares of insulation tape are to keep track of spoke wind up. They'll come off when I don't think the wheels need any further work.

P1010814_zps276773b9.jpg
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Look good

Should keep the tape on would make a nice sound as you zip through the air.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Seriously, they'll be fine: Just ride them.

Wheels aren't exactly hard to get right, people do try to make them sound difficult.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Rolf F wrote:

P1010814_zps276773b9.jpg
    Don't you dare put those wheels on a Saab! Saabs came with three spoke wheels, so try these instead.
    469946104_261.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I knew Rolf would be an old Saab driver! :D

Nice wheels, Rolf, good work.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Oh, and don't worry too much about the spoke tension. There's a massive range between tight enough and too tight. Your meter may give you a single reading, but in reality it's not that critical.

Out of interest, is there an accuracy rating for the meter.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Don't you dare put those wheels on a Saab! Saabs came with three spoke wheels, so try these instead.

http://t.co/HqRp9YTbqi :shock:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Those aren't bits of insulating tape, are they?

They're Spokey Dokes.

You can 'fess up. You're amongst friends here.

Mostly.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rolf_f
    Those aren't bits of insulating tape, are they?

They're Spokey Dokes.

You can 'fess up. You're amongst friends here.

Mostly.

But of course! They are the new, ultra-lightweight black carbon spokey dokes. Same as Team Sky use. 8)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Well done Rolff, I'm so proud of you... except for the insulating tape thing... which is seriously bonkers... :shock:
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Well done Rolff, I'm so proud of you... except for the insulating tape thing... which is seriously bonkers... :shock:
    That's alright, so is Rolf.
  • rolf_f
    Veronese68 wrote:
    That's alright, so is Rolf.

Hey! You can diss me but don't dis ma' insulation tape! :lol:

I thought the insulating tape was genius - you can see exactly when the spoke stops twisting and the nipple starts moving on the thread. The idea works brilliantly well in my head though in practice it may turn out like my chocolate airship.

On the subject of bonkers - if you ever have the idea that it is a good idea to cycle 267 miles from Leeds to Haywards Heath in one day, don't. It's not a good idea. Definitely not........

PS - thanks for the first half of your post Ugo!!
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    Rolf F wrote:
    On the subject of bonkers - if you ever have the idea that it is a good idea to cycle 267 miles from Leeds to Haywards Heath in one day, don't. It's not a good idea. Definitely not........

Surely it's downhill the whole way... weeeee!
    (I don't go up north often)
  • rolf_f
    memsley89 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Surely it's downhill the whole way... weeeee!
    (I don't go up north often)

No, it definitely wasn't! Though I have words to say to stoopid Strava for giving me less climb than my friends who got the train back from KX despite me carrying on another 40 miles over the North Downs and Col de Turners Hill. And Brytons site for not actually letting me upload the whole route as clearly 22 hours is an impossibly long time to be on a single trip!