Poploc Adjust - compression dial

Craig24
Craig24 Posts: 150
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I've recently bought a used bike which has Rockshox Reba, they look quite old maybe 2006 from looking at images? Not sure.

Anyway they have the poploc adjust like the picture below -

poploc.jpg

The lock and unlock appears to work, although a bit hit and miss.

What I am unsure on is the remote compression? It doesnt appear to do anything when I adjust it, if I unscrew it all the way out, it just comes out. Should it be attached to the cable somehow? I cant find any manual on it, little confused.

Any help / pointers would be great.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It should slowly turn the dial on the top of the fork so you can fine tune the adjustment.
  • Craig24
    OK, it doesn't appears to move the dial at all. Should the cable run through the compression dial in the remote somehow then? It doesn't appear to do anything when I turn it in or out.

I can't find a manual online for this remote.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    My understanding is that this dial is meant to allow you to set an "unlocked" position that actually leaves the compression damping slightly "on" - it interferes with the return movement when the remote is released (in much the same way that the "low" limit screw on a front derailleur interferes with the in-swing of the derailleur cage when the cable tension is released)

Therefore, it shouldn't have any effect on the damping when the remote is in the locked position, but when unlocked, dialling it in should increase the level of compression damping slightly. It may not be very noticable when you just compress the forks standing in your workshop.

Obviously, it's going to be very dependant on correct cable tension and slickness - Rockshox remotes are notoriously touchy anyway ;) Too much slack in the unlocked position, and the dial isn't going to make any difference, because all it's doing is taking up slack, rather than adding tension.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Does sound like a cable tension issue.
  • Craig24
    edited August 2014
    Does anyone have a link to a manual for the poploc with adjust? I'm wondering if the cable is routed correctly. I'm not sure how the dial would adjust the cable tension?
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Craig24 wrote:
    Does anyone have a link to a manual for the poploc with adjust? I'm wondering if the cable is rooted correctly. I'm not sure how the dial would adjust the cable tension?

Manual