Upgrading Avid Juicy 3s - rotor as well?

andy81
andy81 Posts: 118
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Finally got feb up of the Juicy 3s on my Boardman HT, and looking to upgrade. I'm fairly set on Shimano brakes (either SLX or XT), as Chain Reaction have some good prices at the moment.

My question is whether it's worth swapping over the rotors to Shimano at the same time - I know the avid rotors should work, but my thinking is that the Shimanos might be a bit better fit. I'm assuming I wouldn't need any different fixing kit assuming I keep to the 160 rotors.

If I do switch rotors, would I see any benefit from upgrading the front to a 180 rotor? My riding is mainly around Swinley, though I do venture further afield on occasion.

Thanks

Andy

Comments

• ive upgraded my avids on my boardman bike with xt,s and also changed the rotors over, to shimano rt86,s, great brakes. tried the original rotors, which were avid hsi,s, but they wernt much good, bought them all from crc, when they were on special offer.you wont regret it lol. avids are ok, but they need too much attention, since ive put the xt,s on and shortened the cables, gave them a bleed, i havnt touched them since.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Try using your existing rotors with the new brakes. Of you feel you need more power then fit a bigger rotor.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As it was not that much more when I got XT's I got the matching rotors. That way you are sure they will work fine. I have 180 front, 160 rear on my hardtail and it stops my 220lbs easily.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Rotors are rotors, basically.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • andy81
    andy81 Posts: 118
    Thanks, I'll probably stick with the existing 160mm rotors on both wheels for now and see how things go - should save me £40-50! Sounds like the switch should give me much more trouble free riding.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    To make you aware I've just bought some xt brakes from crc as replacements and they've come with the ice tech pads already fitted.

So you might need to get new rotors, I'm wondering if the finned pads can work on standard rotors to avoid an extra cost?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You mean finned pads.
    cooldad wrote:
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    cooldad wrote:
    You mean finned pads.
    cooldad wrote:

Yes finned pads aren't these the same thing and are those ice tech ones for them fancy shimano rotors?
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Finned pads and ice tech rotors are different things and don't have to be used together, the fins on the pads are to keep the pads cool, which isn't really necessary and to be fair most people will use non finned pads when it comes to changing them.