front end mystery click/grind

nightofjoy
nightofjoy Posts: 35
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have an MTB which has developed a rolling clicking/grinding noise from the front end. It only occurs when my weight is on the bike, so I can't locate the sound when I have it on the maintenance stand.

The brakes aren't rubbing, all the spokes are tight enough and the wheel is true, I even checked the reflectors were secured properly.

I have a set of rockshox forks, which seem to be in perfect order and showing no signs of making a sound.

The only thing left really is the front hub bearings, but the wheel spins like a dream. There's no play in the cones, and it's a smooth as you could ever wish.

Do I just get in there and check the bearings anyway, or could it be something else?

Cheers.

Comments

• headset?

No, sorry, should have listed that as things I've ruled out. Seems to be a rolling sound. Headset is dead smooth, no play or grinding, and the noise occurs even when I'm riding dead straight....
  • Sounds like front wheel bearings to me.
  • mac-cos
    mac-cos Posts: 80
    I've had bearings that felt and sounded ok when free spun but grated under load so another vote for wheel bearings
  • Well I'd settled on bearings too.

Just cleaned out the front hub, which to be fair looked like new - the grease was still factory transparent amber, no marks to cones or cups, and all bearings intact. Replaced bearings anyway. Cleaned everything thoroughly, now the wheel is spinning smoothly, but then it was before.

But the f*cking sound is still there!!!!

It's like a cross between snap crackle & pop and a geiger counter.

I've actually recorded the sound. I'll try attaching it on here, if no and anyone would like to pm me their email address I'll get it over to them, see if another more learned pair of ears can identify it....

Dammit. Can't post MP3. Someone pm me? Cheers.
  • OK, fingers crossed this'll work. The sound can be found here: BIKE NOISE 1

http://chirb.it/tPJpIr
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I honestly thought you were joking!

How could we tell from that? You need to rule things out. Pedalling, not pedalling, weight here, weight there, standing, sitting, power down ect.
  • OK, fair enough. Any weight on the bike and this noise starts. Pedalling, not pedalling, weight here, weight there, standing, sitting, power down makes no difference. The bike is quiet with no weight on and the front wheel spinning, soon as I go get on, this sound starts. Pedalling or not (I was freewheeling when I captured this sound)

Thanks.
  • Vinbad
    Vinbad Posts: 7
    Sounds silly but try replacing the gear cables. The metal inners get creaky. Giant bikes had a massive issue with this. Worked for me :). Thank me publicly later :)
  • Haha... I will :)

I'm pretty sure it isn't the cables though. The sound is too localized to the front end. Besides, I changed the rear mech cable and brake cables the day I changed the front hub bearings, so all that noise would have to be coming from the front mech cable alone.

I have new tyres coming in a day or two so I'll be changing them and the tubes and can take a look at the spokes and nipples. Really clutching at straws now.

I'm resigned to the fact that the only way I'll identify this sound is if someone on here listens to it and has had exactly the same issue themselves.

But thanks for the ongoing support...