Slicks for commuting

Tavish11
Tavish11 Posts: 18
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
I brought my RockRider 8.1 a couple of months ago (first MTB) & want some advice about tyres.

I have not been off roading with it as of yet but use daily for commuting to work which is all on road.

So I was wondering if I would be better off buying some slicks??

As I am new to the world of biking any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Road slicks will be lighter (most likely) less draggy and have less aero resistance as well, well worth using for a road commute.

A popular choice is a 1.5", but Decathlon do some pretty good 1.2" very cheap, not tried them yet though.

I use 1.5" on my commuter, the budget choice is a Schwalbe city Jet, excellent for the price (about £12 ea), after that you step up to a wide range at about £25 like the Conti Sport contact, Panaracer RiBMo, WTB Slickasaurus and so on....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I had conti slicks on my touring/commute bike - lasted eternity (hence I cant recall the name) and were pretty grippy on a variety of terrain (mate of mine used to borrow it and come xc riding in mud and gravel - mud was a problem, gravel less so) - had them in 1.5 - considered switching to a 2.0 hookworm or big apple to allow for some potholing and hamfisted kerb slamming but sold the bike before I got round to it.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I put some used Slickasaurus on mine, the rear lasted 3500 miles more, the front lasted another 500 miles having been then moved to the rear, they don't wear very fast!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Not sure what rim size you have but I've used Specialized Fatboys before; they are fantastic providing its bone dry and truly scary if there is a hint of moisture. IF you really want slick they are the way forward.