My first road bike - build or buy?

Bilet
Bilet Posts: 6
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm farily new to the world of road cycling having only used a MTB and a single speed for the last six year. Now I want to buy my first road bike, but I'm not really sure how to make up my mind of what I should do. Should I buy a new one straight out of the factory or should I go looking for a vintage frame and fit it with some new and entry level parts? I'm ok in terms of fixing up my mountain bike. I can adjust the gear and brakes and know how to change a chainring and cog. I think I would like the challenge of building something of my own that is mine, but don't know if I'm both skilled and patient enough.

Some advise would be much appreciated.

Eirik.

Comments

• shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Better (and likely cheaper) to buy a first bike unless you have a load of parts already.
  • Bilet
    Ok.

Where would you start looking - budget around $1500?
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Bilet wrote:
    Ok.

Where would you start looking - budget around $1500?

Where are you based?
  • Bilet
    rafletcher wrote:

Where are you based?

Norway, but guessing it won't be a problem buying from Europe.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Maybe look at Rose or Canyon direct sales for a good value first bike - after checking sizing by testing a few at your local cycle emporium. Or Decathlon if you have any in Norway (which I doubt)
  • Bilet
    Hi, looking at Canyon, how are their Endurance CF-bikes for a first bike?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Endurance CF is a new range so not many reviews to be found but I don't doubt it will be just as good as their other offerings.
    Excellent bikes and very good vfm.
  • Bilet
    diamonddog wrote:
    Endurance CF is a new range so not many reviews to be found but I don't doubt it will be just as good as their other offerings.
    Excellent bikes and very good vfm.

Would you go for Rose or Canyon in terms of build quality and customer service etc.?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Both have very good reputations for products.

I bought a Canyon over the Rose options because I preferred the frame geometry and the builds offered, the bike is excellent and is really good vfm.

The transaction was trouble free with all email questions answered promptly and the bike was in stock delivered within 10 days.