New frame to build a bike for my wife

shmooster
shmooster Posts: 335
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Can anyone make a recommendation where I can buy a reasonably priced frame to build a first road bike for my wife?

Looking for something that will take a Shimano english thread BB, and room for 28mm tyres. Prefer to spend under £200 with forks so expecting aluminium rather than carbon.

Looking to build rather than buy as I already have wheels (R501s), and will transfer the groupset from my Tarmac (Shimano 10 speed, mix of 105, Tiagra and spesh own brand) which I'm upgrading to Ultegra.

She's about 5'10" tall so thinking 56cm size frame.

Comments

• Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    Slight hijack, for which I apologise, but I don't think it detracts from the op's question.

So, if anyone does have a carbon frame in mind please mention that as well. I am trying to do the same thing, with virtually the same stuff.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Planet X have alu frames (minus forks) from £50 and carbon frames (minus forks) from £200 - ribble will offer similar.
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Dinyull wrote:
    Planet X have alu frames (minus forks) from £50 and carbon frames (minus forks) from £200 - ribble will offer similar.

Cheers Dinyull, was looking at those two already, if anyone has any others please post.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I built my wife a Kaffenback for the adaptability factor - Planet X sell stuff cheaply on ebay (but they are absolutely no frills - ie you'll need get the cable guide, seat post clamp etc etc.
  • brimmers
    brimmers Posts: 47
    Paul Milnes cycles sell forme longcliffe frame sets on ebay for about £200. They also have a web site. I use one or a winter bike as it has front and rear mudguard mounts. Nicely finished and British designed.