Kysrium Elite S or Kysrium SLS?

shie1977
shie1977 Posts: 8
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Do the SLS's justify the extra £265 over the Elite S's?

I know what the differences between both wheelsets are but wondered if anyone had experience of using both. I'm looking to upgrade my existing wheelset (currently using Aksiums) and have £1k to spend but unsure as to whether to go for the better wheels or use the left-over money if going for the Elite's to upgrade other parts as well, such as bars, pedals, cassette etc.

Responses would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I never thought they did.

They are a teeny bit lighter but vanilla Ksyrium Elites are so good the difference would be negligible.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    The Elite S are kind of no nonsense, while the SLS introduce the nonsense at a hefty price, namely zicral spokes... the denomination zicral is a fancy word for a 7 series aluminium alloy, which has no other merit than being less fatigue resistant than the stainless steel used in the Elite S. Of course aluminium spokes are a tad lighter and if oversized even a tad stiffer... but you compromise on durability.

Moral is, under no circumstance that so called "upgrade" is worth 250 pounds... maybe if they discounted 250 pounds from the price of the Elite S to have zicral spokes, maybe only then you should consider them... :wink:

The rims are very similar if not the same rim with different stickers... Mavic hubs are all pretty good and consistent across the range... no bad ones and no hub that stands out for quality
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks guys.

I noted the other differences were that the SLS's have a carbon hub on the front wheel and that the milled finish is on both the rim face and side walls as opposed to just the rim face on the Elite's. There are some other differences as well, mainly visual, but I'm not too bothered about them.

All-in-all I agree with your statement Ugo and don't think the SLS's justify the extra £265 spend, that money could go best towards something else.

Thanks for the replies.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    youre likely to incur hefty dental charges if you go for sls as all your fillings will be shook out.

get the elites- from here

http://www.4thebike.de/laufraeder/rennr ... lite-s-wts

mine arrived in 4 days! :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'