Happy August (time to talk mudguards)

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited August 2014 in Commuting chat
Specifically mudguards for bikes that aren't designed for mudguards...

I've never got on with Cruds, and don't like a Raceblade on the front so I've just bought some of these
https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/fenders/f ... nders-road

They work by being very narrow and the usual fixture for the brakes goes over the brake and then the mudguard stays affix to the wheel axle with a clever figure of 8 component.

Anyway, I can't get the rear one to work because the clearances are just too tight but looks very neat and secure on the front - just like a narrow Chromoplastic.

Are there any other options out there?

Comments

• N+1?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    edited August 2014
    get a proper bike that will take a full guard.

I actually see some guy yesterday with two rear mudguards... a full fixed guard and one of those swan type guards that attach to the seatpost... im not sure what that is about.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Belt 'n' braces.
  • clarkey cat
    N+1?

I want to... badly. But the Missus wants a holiday so it's a case of S-1 > N+1
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Send her on a residential metal working course for a week? Kill two birds with one stone...?
    FCN 3 / 4
  • rubertoe wrote:
    get a proper bike that will take a full guard.

I actually see some guy yesterday with two rear mudguards... a full fixed guard and one of those swan type guards that attach to the seatpost... im not sure what that is about.

+1

My daughter's bike doesn't have clearance or eyes for proper mudguards, last year I fitted Crud Roadracer Mk2 to the bike which lasted about 5 months before disintegrating. This year I fitted a set a SKS raceblades (long) a much more substantial guard. She managed to lose both the rear and front sections of the guards, again within 6 months despite frequent checks as to security.
    She now looking for a new frame/bike which will take guards, currently a Fratello.
  • clarkey cat
    One of the frustrating things is that I used to have a Fratello, then a Hewitt Chiltern - so exactly what I now need. But I was tempted over to Carbon and almost instantly regretted it.... so just making do with what I've got at the moment.
    If I can find a spare grand then I'll be in for a Surly X-check I think.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    N+1?

The correct and only response and the one I will be following - using the excuse that I need disc brakes to be safe coming down Crystal Palace Hill in the wet....

Otherwise when people say they don't get on with cruds it makes me think they are sausage fingered fools.. a tad harsh perhaps.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    You want the Campag equipped Genesis from the other thread.
  • clarkey cat
    MrSweary wrote:
    N+1?

Otherwise when people say they don't get on with cruds it makes me think they are sausage fingered fools.. a tad harsh perhaps.

bugger, I really wanted you to be impressed with me.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    The mk2's are standing up well tbh even with me losing one of the brake brushes and slowly eating the plastic sidewall with tyre rub (fixed now).
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I found that set up correctly. cruds were great. but still no where near as good as fixed full guards on my PX
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary wrote:
    N+1?

bugger, I really wanted you to be impressed with me.

I can tell. Bring your bike over and I'll sort them for you. ;-)
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • If you can get a set of cruds to last through the winter you're doing well. It's just a matter of time before your tyre picks up something big enough to jam between the the tyre and the guard and then it's invariably all over.
  • MrSweary
    If you can get a set of cruds to last through the winter you're doing well. It's just a matter of time before your tyre picks up something big enough to jam between the the tyre and the guard and then it's invariably all over.

Funny - my first set lasted two winters and were only written off by a cab running me over. My second set lasted all last winter (including the high winds which littered my 10mile commute with debris) and will go back on shortly.* If you're careful and don't ride over every stick you see they should last just fine. Of course there is no accounting for personal experience.

Crud-evangelism over.

*until my disc equipped, guard suitable n+1 gets bought.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • Exactly, which is why my daughters failed, she does ride over everything! :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If you can get a set of cruds to last through the winter you're doing well. It's just a matter of time before your tyre picks up something big enough to jam between the the tyre and the guard and then it's invariably all over.

Never happened to me...... If it does, you just get a replacement part.

I have seen a neat bit of compromise - a set of cruds connected to conventional stays via a riveted on stay bridge and p clips to the seatstay. Not a difficult modification.
    Faster than a tent.......