Soooooo Cool

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited August 2014 in Commuting chat
I just love this idea

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/a ... tent=11923

A drone that follows you and films you - just how cool is that!? I just think it's brilliant.

I'd get bored with it within a week but it's such a cool idea 8) 8)
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    it's a weight weenie helmet cam :)
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Looks funky. I can imagine a day when there are loads of them in the sky following commuters around. ;)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    10 to 20 minutes recording time fills me with disappoint.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • meanredspider
    Asprilla wrote:
    10 to 20 minutes recording time fills me with disappoint.

Only 40mph is kinda disappointing too :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I tend to think that 10-20 minutes is enough. Imagine it can do several hours. It follows you on your ride for two hours, decides it is low on power and therefore

"communicates with its AirLeash via long-range bluetooth and notify its user. It will then either return to its take-off spot or a programmed-in landing location".

So it is going to set off on a 2 hour flight back home on its own......... :shock:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • meanredspider
    10-20 minutes is designed to prevent the poor people who have to watch the footage getting bored :wink: Let's face it - any YouTube video over about 3 minutes long needs commitment (or a good-looking lady) :wink:
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    I wonder how well it copes with trees...?
    zboomyr.gif :shock: :mrgreen:

(EDIT ANSWER: looks like you will be able to program 'no-fly' zones)
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Good device if you commute in rough areas. You could have it follow you and programme it to fly to the nearest police station if you get parted from the bike!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    We'll be inundated with tales of ones drone getting cut up by a Sky Pro kit wearing fool's drone in no time.

And imagine the field day the Daily Mail will have about them literally flying through red lights and not paying tax.......

Then again, if you could stream the footage to the screen on your Garmin and could see up the road and spot any zombie peds that are likely to wander out in front of you / lock onto the tool that RLJ'd .... maybe some sort of guided missile attachment.....hmmm
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Could you get one to carry your d-lock? There would be 2 benefits to this.

a) you don't have to carry it on the bike
    b) you could have a "bombs away" button to drop it on to any unsavoury characters that cut you up or give you abuse.

Edit: having just seen Vimfuego's post, this could be your guided missile attachment.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    elbowloh wrote:
    Could you get one to carry your d-lock? There would be 2 benefits to this.

a) you don't have to carry it on the bike
    b) you could have a "bombs away" button to drop it on to any unsavoury characters that cut you up or give you abuse.

Edit: having just seen Vimfuego's post, this could be your guided missile attachment.

LOL - do you want to come in on a Kickstarter campaign? :D:D
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds very like it breaches most the rules for drones set by the CAA, even Manchester Police had to sell theirs as they couldn't use them, may work in the USA, not here.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • meanredspider
    The Rookie wrote:
    Sounds very like it breaches most the rules for drones set by the CAA, even Manchester Police had to sell theirs as they couldn't use them, may work in the USA, not here.

Why not pi55 on our parade? :roll: :wink::wink::D

Seriously, though, surely it's just a model aircraft in this context??
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    An incentive to take up clay pigeon shooting...