Ventoux in late October

ciclista di Galles
ciclista di Galles Posts: 12
edited August 2014 in Tour & expedition
Hi there

I have a window of opportunity to tackle Mt Ventoux in late October (26th to be precise). I guess the weather could do anything on a mountain this big at this time of year, but I was wondering if, generally, the climb is doable/open at this time of year?

Thanks.

Comments

• whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Unlike the Apline or Pyrenean climbs it's not going to snow the problem is the wind. It can be a bit of a breeze at the base and literally so strong it would blow you off the bike at the top.
    http://www.yr.no/place/France/Provence- ... stics.html
  • OK thanks. I'm sort of passing that way anyway, so I guess I'll take a punt!
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    IMO the best way up is from Bedoin, this is a nice campsit right on the edge of town
    http://www.camping-ventoux.fr/
    The nicest way down is to Sault.
  • OK, thanks for that.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I was there 2 weeks ago. 25 degrees and sunny at the bottom in Bedoin but 5 degrees, almost zero visibility and 40-50mph gusts at the top!

Think its always going to be a lottery on that mountain.
  • crvfr
    crvfr Posts: 23
    Don't forget the Gorges de la Nesques whilst you are in the area - spectacular road!
  • could be amazing, or could be off limits because of weather. If so then the ride to Chalet Reynard then down to Sault and through the Nesque could still be very clement. I've done it when there's been 2m of snow banked up at the roadside under blazing sun. Above the junction things can be crazy but it's avoidable. There's a lifetime's worth of world class riding in the area.

Last week of October for the last two years it's been wonderful... I'll be here again so I hope it's three years in a row.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I'm heading up there on Monday, my original plan was to ascend from Bedoin and descend into Malaucene and then back over to Bedoin.

However looking at Pancho and crvfr's post it sound like a good option to ascend from Bedoin and then double back to Chalet Reynard and down to Sault and. Then back via gorge de Nesque. - guys is that the road via Monieux and then Ville sur Auzon and then Flasson to Bedoin? Looks like not too much extra climbing, in fact less uphill than return from Sault via the more direct route?

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/492073632

Is this correct route for option via Nesque?

Any local knowledge appreciated.

Cheers
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • crvfr
    crvfr Posts: 23
    The road I was referring to was the D942. We had lunched in Sault & were heading back to Mazan (towards Carpentras). A couple of km outside of Sault there is a left turn to the Gorges & the road from there is easy to follow as there are almost no turnings at all! Luckily for us it is also generally downhill as we had spent most of the morning climbing!
  • t4tomo
    Yes that's the road D942- I will give that a blast as long as I don't spend a silly amount of time going up the Ventoux.

Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • Yes, doubling back to ride through the nesque is a good idea. Or you can descend to Malaucene and then take the Dentelles road to Suzette and Beaumes de Venise and then Caromb to get back to Bedoin. Not as spectacular as the Nesque but a wonderful loop nonetheless.

Whatever you end up doing will be great, and you'll be back for more in the future no doubt!
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    As others have said the weather and wind is always a bit of a gamble but you do have the bail option at Chalet Reynard if things are looking bad and given that you will be close on your travels it would be rude not to have a go!

Bédoin is the most famous ascent through the forest and on to the moonscape and most people find it the hardest of the three. There are a couple of fountains low down and one about 1k after Chalet Reynard, so if you are riding solo you have plenty of chances to fill bottles if it is hot. You also pass the Simpson memorial which is well worth seeing.

Malaucène is a tricky ascent which I actually find to be the hardest of the three particularly when it is hot as it is pretty relentless and sourcing water is nigh on impossible. As it's on the backside of the mountain you don't get the moonscape section so you are robbed of the classic Ventoux experience to a certain extent, but it is a great ride in its own right.

Sault starts at a much higher altitude than the other two, so while it is the longest ascent it is the most straight forward (though it shares the final very tough section from Reynard to the summit with the Bédoin ascent including the Simpson memorial so don't underestimate it). This ascent feels very "Provence" as you pass through lots of Lavender fields and beautiful views in the early section.

There is a bit more detail on each ascent in the post below:

http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk/king-of-the-mountains-report-part-2/

For what it's worth I have been there in fine but cool weather in November and hot/windless in June, July, August and September, but equally it's been almost unrideable due to winds/rain on different days on those same trips*. It really is a case of checking the forecasts/chatting to locals and making sure you take enough kit out to deal with the temperature differentials between the top and bottom.

*On the 24th June this year we completed the Club des Cinglés du Mont-Ventoux as part of our King of the Mountains challenge accompanied by sunshine and high 20s in Bédoin, Sault and Malaucène and mid teens at the top, but crucially almost zero wind. On the 25th however things were totally different, with heavy rain and big gusts - luckily we were riding away from Ventoux that day!

If the weather is grim then the ride around the mountain from Bédoin to Sault on the D974, D217 and D1A is fantastic.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Thanks all - very useful info.
  • t4tomo
    Massive thanks to crvfr and Sancho for putting the Gorge de Nesque on my Radar. Had an absolutely fabulous ride today and had it not been for your posts I'd have done up from Bedoin , down to Maucelene and direct route back to Bedoin.

I must recommend France Bike rentals.com who had a trek Domane waiting for me all right size after booking online and putting in some basic measurements.

Ascent to Ventoux from Bedoin was awesome painful and beautiful in equal measures. The steep bit through the forest is quite serene but you pass and are passed by people of all nationalities going through their own private hell. had a bit of a headwind from Chalet Reynard across the moon scape but to be fair the weather was pretty favourable. If your only going to do one ascent then it has to be the classic TdF route from Bedoin.

Took 2hrs 15 on way up which was quite pleasing for a mid forties not particularly fit bloke.

Definitely recommend the descent into Sault from Ch Reynard, much less busy than descent back to Bedoin, new Tarmac smooth as a baby's bum, more gentle gradient but you can still bomb it, and the lovely smell of lavender fields. Had a cracking lunch in Sault (creparie la Moissan), then 40km back to bedoin through gorge de Nesque, which is absolutely breathtaking, both as scenery and as a ride. Pretty much all down hill - small uphill,1-2% 2-3 km from Sault to top of gorge and from Ville sur anzon to Flasson is again maybe 4-5km of very gentle uphill, the rest is 1-3% ish downhill so you blast along at a fair old lick, even into a steady headwind. The gorge scenery is spectacular and you wind down along one cliff face of it through the odd tunnel etc on an old but fairly smooth surface.

Round trip was just shy of 90km ( but after getting to top of Ventoux, 60 of remaining 68km are downhill or flat) which took 6hrs ish including an hour for lunch maybe 15-20 mins soaking it up at top of ventoux and a few photo / video stops on the way and a pay respect stop to Tom Simpson.

Certainly the guys at the bike rental place were in no doubt it's the best route if you have the time, so I would definitely recommend it, almost go as far as command you to go that route! The gorge de Nesque is absolutely awesome - and this from a Yorkshire who normally describes things as Okay or Good!

Finally thanks to the two French Guys on Cippolini's who slowed for me after overtaking in Flassan, to let me ride in with them from Flassan to Bedoin - nice to share the work with tired legs. I only did a small spin on the front , but I did have at least 15 years on the pair of you! Was pleased I could keep up to be honest!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • Thanks for posting about your recent ride - sounds great. Definitely the route for me I think - would've planned on doing a straight up and down without feedback on here. Fingers crossed my attempt will work out!
  • Glad you had a great ride. In terms of riding round here you've scratched the surface. On the other side of the Ventoux, for example, is the riding in the Baronnies hills. Any ride that takes in the col de Soubeyrand or col d' Ey, or Aulan is going to be spectacular.

Weather has been a bit iffy this summer too so it sounds as though you've been lucky.

Happy riding!

Sancho
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    me and the wife did it a few days ago with our daughters on the back, as people have pointed out, the mountain is a weather lottery.

+30 at the bottom and +3 at the top due to 35km/h winds, gusting up to 55km/h. We waited for 3 days and found a drop in winds and set off early morning, it was cold at the top we took loads of extra layers!

Still the most special mountain around, good luck for October.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....