Narrow Wide ring without clutch mech?

*AJ*
*AJ* Posts: 1,080
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Just had another MRP chain device disintegrate because the plastic has gone brittle in less than a year.

Anyway, this is for my commuter. Currently running 1x9 with an SLX rear mech and MRP 1X chain device (top guide) which is now cracked/starting to fall apart.

Rather than replacing the chain device, I'm thinking of just running a narrow wide ring like I do on my Five (very impressed with it)

I was just curious if any of you guys had run a narrow wide ring without a clutch mech and how you got on? do you lose the chain regularly?

Its only my commuter so it wont get a lot of rough ground, but it does get a few flights of steps etc on the way to work.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A narrow wide ring needs a clutch mech to work properly.
    Have you been using an aerosol chain lube? That's the usual cause of plastic chain devices rotting. GT85 is particularly bad for it.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I have NW chainring on both my XC bikes no clutch mech or chainguide , never dropped a chain yet and this has been over mixed terrain including some rockgardens and some minor DH. On my commuter I just fitted a standard Hope single ring and have no issues.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I like lots of gears, but my son has a 1x9 with a NW and an SLX mech, he rides hard and no problems.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I never had a problem without a clutch mech on my hardtail. I'd be very surprised if a few steps could knock it off. The full sus can get away with it on smoother trails as well.
  • rockmonkeysc
    A standard single ring will effectively do the same job. The narrow wide ring teeth are the right width to match a 10 speed chain so will be a bit loose with a 9 speed chain. It will run fine but you will get little to no benefit from the narrow wide tooth profile.
    I ran a Renthal SR4 ring on my 9 speed xc bike and didn't drop a chain.
    You will probably need a top guide with whatever ring you choose to use.
  • Comes off over rough stuff on my Canyon with a narrow wide and a botttom roller (no bash or top guide).

Just bought a clutch mech for the 456 so I can put the chainguide on the Canyon!

Clutch mechs are only £30 at Merlin Cycles at the mo!!
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Clutch mech and no narrow wide on my HT. Never dropped the chain.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Comes off over rough stuff on my Canyon with a narrow wide and a botttom roller (no bash or top guide).

Just bought a clutch mech for the 456 so I can put the chainguide on the Canyon!

OP has 9 speed so clutch mech isn't an option without replacing cassette, chain and shifter as well.
  • Comes off over rough stuff on my Canyon with a narrow wide and a botttom roller (no bash or top guide).

OP has 9 speed so clutch mech isn't an option without replacing cassette, chain and shifter as well.

Same with the Canyon, am running 9sp Saint. Figured I'd give the narrow wide a chance without a guide but it doesn't want to stay on..
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    A standard single ring will effectively do the same job. The narrow wide ring teeth are the right width to match a 10 speed chain so will be a bit loose with a 9 speed chain. It will run fine but you will get little to no benefit from the narrow wide tooth profile.

The internal width of 9 and 10 speed chains is exactly the same so a n/w ring should work equally well for both.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    warpcow wrote:

The internal width of 9 and 10 speed chains is exactly the same so a n/w ring should work equally well for both.
    It does.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I frequently forget to put the clutch on my rear mech and never had a chain fall off at glentress let along riding to uni
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I have an old school XT mech on my 1x9 set up and a Middleburn ring and have no issues with chain drop at all. The guys that I ride with that seem to struggle are the ones that will insist on pedalling backwards to get their feet/cranks properly lined up when going through bends and/or that run middle rings from triple sets, so there's lots of ramps and pins to help the chain off, as opposed to just lots of good teeth to keep it on!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • *AJ*
    A narrow wide ring needs a clutch mech to work properly.
    Have you been using an aerosol chain lube? That's the usual cause of plastic chain devices rotting. GT85 is particularly bad for it.

They've basically cracked around the mounting bolts, but not when they were fitted, just over time.
    They weren't tightened that much either, just nipped up enough to stop them moving.

Probably was something to do with the TF2 spray i use on it then.
  • *AJ*
    Thanks for all the replies!

I might give it a go!... if it doesn't work out ill use it as an excuse to take the Zee 10spd stuff off the Five and replace it with XT stuff.
  • POAH wrote:
    I frequently forget to put the clutch on my rear mech and never had a chain fall off at glentress let along riding to uni
    Why would you turn it off though?

I've got my clutch mech and was thinking, "I want it on all the time, why would I ever want to turn it off, why even give the option"...
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    POAH wrote:

I've got my clutch mech and was thinking, "I want it on all the time, why would I ever want to turn it off, why even give the option"...

Makes removing and fitting the wheel far easier. Plus if you're like me it lets you try out the narrow wide without a clutch but with the flick of a switch the clutch is back on should it be needed (which it was).
  • peter413 wrote:
    POAH wrote:

Makes removing and fitting the wheel far easier. Plus if you're like me it lets you try out the narrow wide without a clutch but with the flick of a switch the clutch is back on should it be needed (which it was).

Furry muff! Been scratching my head over that one for a while, could save a few g without the lever!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    POAH wrote:

to take the wheel off :roll: