Dippydog2
Dippydog2 Posts: 291
Anyone do this?

We are thinking of doing it next year. Lots of questions in my mind like:-

Is it a friendly event or quite racey?
Did you all ride in one group?
How many miles a day?
What sort of average speed?
How was the accommodation/organisation/social side of things?

Any thoughts, comments and suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Check out the Hotchillee videos on Vimeo and YouTube. Most of your questions will be answered I think.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Dippydog2 wrote:
    Anyone do this?

We are thinking of doing it next year. Lots of questions in my mind like:-

Is it a friendly event or quite racey?
    Did you all ride in one group?
    How many miles a day?
    What sort of average speed?
    How was the accommodation/organisation/social side of things?

Any thoughts, comments and suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Yes I did it and have done it twice before.

It is split into 6 groups and all are friendly. Group 1 is the fastest and it gets quite serious/challenging but that doesn't mean it wasn't fun.

If you want to ride in a group then that is easily done, you jus have to go with the slowest of your group. Don't forget that on the run into Paris all the groups ride together.

110 miles a day

See website. Ride captains maintain the speed.

Basic hotels for nights 1 and 2. The event is split between 3 or 4 hotels and as such very social with some of the group. Last night is a large good hotel near the Eifel tower. Organised party and if you want to party then some people push on through all the way through the night. How social do you want!!

The ballot entries started so soon after we got back that I felt so drained (injured myself the night before departure so cycled practically one legged!) that I ended up missing out. Did this 2 years ago and so it looks like I will be a regular every other year.

Suggest that when looking at groups try and go to their training rides which are very social pleasant events in Surrey. If you can't get to those dont' forget that you can train on your own. For similar levels of climbing per ride, add 1.5 mph for being on closed roads and 1 mph for being within a group.

It is a fantastic event - I can't find anything else like it.
  • Dippydog2
    Many thanks.
  • Slacey
    Slacey Posts: 78
    Read my review of this year's event here - http://www.cyclosport.org/28-Jul-2014/e ... -2014.html

Would definitely recommend the event!
    Freelance Journalist
    ex-Team Cycling Plus 2011
    Three Boardmans and a Spesh,
    numerous test rigs
  • Dippydog2
    Slacey wrote:
    Read my review of this year's event here - http://www.cyclosport.org/28-Jul-2014/e ... -2014.html

Would definitely recommend the event!
    Brilliant, thanks.

We are a group of old grumpies. Happy riding 100 to 150km, admittedly though we haven't ever done it three days in a row. We seem to average 25kph during Sportives.

Do you think we are too slow for the ride?
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Why not organise your own ride instead? It's not too hard and is plenty of fun if you all get on - allows you to change it as you go along, stop when you want etc.