Look 566 new tyres needed

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Good afternoon all
I am the proud owner of a new Look 566 , unfortunatly after only a few rides I have rear wheel puncture resulting in a decent sidewall nick.
I am noe considering upgrading the tyres and would like your views on trye size.
The origonal tyres are 23 mm , the bike is built for comforte 1st and speed second so there is already a good level of comfort.
Would you stick with the 23 mm or go 25mm , I want to speed it up a little rather than increase comfort.
any advise will be very much appreciated
regards
ILG

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    You won't notice any difference in speed between 23mm and 25mm. Comfort is dependant on tyre pressure with the advantage going to 25mm as they can run lower pressures than 23mm without a greater likelihood of a pinch flat.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    23mm Michelin Pro4 Service Course and latex inner tubes. They are the perfect summer "club rider" tyre in my opinion and latex tubes make a huge difference to the way a bike rides.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    My new 25mm tyres are vastly more comfortable than my old 23mm ones at the same pressure though so I would definitely recommend moving up in size.

25mm Pro4 Endurance versus 23mm Gator Hardskin.
  • Grill
    Probably because your new tyres are actually 27mm and are actually supple (Gator feels like wagon wheels).
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Yeah. I wonder whether there is much of a difference between the Endurance version that I have and the Service Course that are a little lighter?
  • Grill
    I've ridden both. No perceptible difference in regards to puncture protection but I do have a preference for the SC as they feel quicker.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    So, best bet would be a supple 25mm then - Vittoria Open Corsa CX 25's?
  • ilovegrace
    Thanks for the replies chaps.
    Has anyone seen a good deal on mitchelin pro 4s ?
  • Grill
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I have a Look 585 and Pro4 25mm are too tight for comfort - any bit of grit that sticks to the tyre grinds against the brake caliper or bridge. I don't know about your 566 but you might want to play safe and get 23mm. Difficult one because the 25mm are quite nice as I've put them on my other bike.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ilovegrace
    Many thanks for the link Grill.
    I have a Look 585 and Pro4 25mm are too tight for comfort - any bit of grit that sticks to the tyre grinds against the brake caliper or bridge. I don't know about your 566 but you might want to play safe and get 23mm. Difficult one because the 25mm are quite nice as I've put them on my other bike.

To be honest I was thinking about this , I have been told that 25s will fit but it looks as though it will be tight.
    Ps I have run 25s on another bike and when removing/refitting the wheels it was a hell os a struggle to pass the brake pads even when fully open , is this normal ?
    thanks again for the replies
    regards
    Mark
  • I ride with 25mm tyres on my look 566, no problem at all, not even close to being too tight for the frame!
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    I ride with 25mm tyres on my look 566, no problem at all, not even close to being too tight for the frame!

it wheel depend on rim width also though - do your wheels have 23mm or wider rims?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    rafletcher wrote:
    So, best bet would be a supple 25mm then - Vittoria Open Corsa CX 25's?

For a fast summer, dry weather tyre yes. But they're fragile.

The Pro4 SC are a good all round "fast" tyre that have decent P protection.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava