How to prevent water ingress into tyres

herzog
herzog Posts: 197
edited August 2014 in Workshop
After a rainy ride, a lot of water (about 10-20 mL or so) ends up trapped between the rim (Mavic Open Pro) and the tyre (Conti 4 seasons - folding) and makes a lovely sloshing sound as I rotate the wheel. The water tends to hang around (i.e., not dispersing when the bike is subsequently ridden on dry days) and I have to remove the tyre to let the water out - a right pain in the ---.

Any tips to prevent stop it happening? Perhaps non-folded tyres may help...?

How does it even get in there?

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Herzog wrote:
    How does it even get in there?

Through the 20 something holes in the rim!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • herzog
    I've tried the small red plastic things (can't remember the brand name) that slot into the spoke holes (instead of rim tape) and they're very tight. I really can't see how that much water can get during a 30 min commute...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It gets in via the spoke holes and possibly around the valve. Unless you're extremely determined there's bugger all you can do to stop it. With box section rims there's a great big space for it to slosh around in, so as you've found, you can collect quite a lot on a wet ride. My Shimano wheels (RS10 and R501's) have a drain hole so after a wet ride I make sure that's at the bottom. No sloshing for me.
  • herzog
    I'm determined - these are my commuting wheels and over here (Switzerland) at the moment it's pretty rainy.

Thought about trying numerous layers of robust electrical tape...
  • rolf_f
    Herzog wrote:
    I've tried the small red plastic things (can't remember the brand name) that slot into the spoke holes (instead of rim tape) and they're very tight. I really can't see how that much water can get during a 30 min commute...

Veloplugs - and I agree not much would get past those. But they are only keeping the water out of the rim bed - not the enclosed box section (which is probably where the water is - the inner tube should be keeping water out of that area).

But the valve might be the easiest entry route. A bit of silicone sealant round it might help.
  • keef66
    Can't see it working unless you're prepared to use something like silicone sealant around every nipple / valve hole.

Do your wheels not have drain holes?
  • herzog
    Rolf F wrote:
    Herzog wrote:

Veloplugs - and I agree not much would get past those. But they are only keeping the water out of the rim bed - not the enclosed box section (which is probably where the water is - the inner tube should be keeping water out of that area).

But the valve might be the easiest entry route. A bit of silicone sealant round it might help.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    keef66 wrote:
    Can't see it working unless you're prepared to use something like silicone sealant around every nipple / valve hole.

Do your wheels not have drain holes?

No idea (at work - without bike), it's the first time I've built wheels using Open Pros so not overly familiar with them.
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    Just for clarity, the water is unlikely to be in between the rim and the tyre. That pace is very effectively sealed by the innertube. The water will be in the rim itself and is very common in deep section rims
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • rolf_f
    Just for clarity, the water is unlikely to be in between the rim and the tyre. That pace is very effectively sealed by the innertube. The water will be in the rim itself and is very common in deep section rims
    Just for clarity, I already said this! :lol: But repetition never does any harm!
  • The Mechanic
    Rolf F wrote:
    Just for clarity, I already said this! :lol: But repetition never does any harm!
    not the enclosed box section (which is probably where the water is - the inner tube should be keeping water out of that area).
    I don't think what you said was at all clear when referred to the OP, hence the reason I clarified the point.
  • herzog
    When I take the tyre off, there's a little pool of water sitting in it, so it's not all in the rim (though there's still a fair bit remaining in the rim cavity).
  • keef66
    I suspect the water's getting in to the tyre as you deflate the tube. As already stated, there's next to no room in there when it's occupied by an innertube inflated to 80-100 psi.
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:
    not the enclosed box section (which is probably where the water is - the inner tube should be keeping water out of that area).
    I don't think what you said was at all clear when referred to the OP, hence the reason I clarified the point.

I could point out that you didn't clarify my point as you didn't refer to my point in your post. And that this is probably because you probably didn't actually read my post in the first place but haven't got the confidence to admit it but I'd better not!
    Herzog wrote:
    When I take the tyre off, there's a little pool of water sitting in it, so it's not all in the rim (though there's still a fair bit remaining in the rim cavity).

Depends. If the valve is between 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock when you deflate the inner tube, then water will run through the valve hole as soon as the inner tube no longer stops it.

If this theory is correct (and the water can't get past the veloplugs), then the tyre should be dry if you deflate the inner tube with the valve to the top. There's 100 psi or so trying to stop the water getting out of the cavity.
  • herzog
    Rolf F wrote:
    Depends. If the valve is between 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock when you deflate the inner tube, then water will run through the valve hole as soon as the inner tube no longer stops it.

If this theory is correct (and the water can't get past the veloplugs), then the tyre should be dry if you deflate the inner tube with the valve to the top. There's 100 psi or so trying to stop the water getting out of the cavity.

Seems logical; I'll probably get the chance to test this theory over the next couple of days - thunderstorms are predicted - hurrah for the Swiss summer.
  • rolf_f
    Herzog wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Seems logical; I'll probably get the chance to test this theory over the next couple of days - thunderstorms are predicted - hurrah for the Swiss summer.

I can see the headlines now "Swiss cyclist in lightning strike wet tyre experiment shocker......." :lol:
  • herzog
    Probably one of the more exciting things that goes on over here.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Well, if you must live in Bern...
  • herzog
    robbo2011 wrote:
    Well, if you must live in Bern...

Bernese countryside at that :lol:
  • The Mechanic
    Rolf F wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

I could point out that you didn't clarify my point as you didn't refer to my point in your post. And that this is probably because you probably didn't actually read my post in the first place but haven't got the confidence to admit it but I'd better not!
    Herzog wrote:

I was just trying to help the op with his problem? I didn't expect anyone to start a pissing contest over who said, you said. There aren't half a lot of touchy people on this forum.
  • rjkflyer
    rjkflyer Posts: 102
    Tedious though the suggestion is, a touch of silicone sealant around each spoke hole will materially reduce this.

I have had this with aero spokes in a shallowish rim where the spoke nuts are inside the box as opposed to on the rim - and hence the spoke hole (round) lets water in where the aero (flat) spoke goes through each one.

You could make holes in the tyre to let the water out... ...no, wait a minute, that's called a puncture...