Public Bike Lockers - best type?

seajays
seajays Posts: 331
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
At work we have a limited number of fully enclosed bike lockers. Previously it was a registered locker with a key deposit however this year they moved to a coin operated with a key that you remove when a coin is inserted (returned when you unlock - like a standard locker system), to make it a fairer system.

The problem is (I work at a university) what appears to be happening is that people lock the lockers without a bike in them to "reserve" the locker. That's a bit of a pain however, a lot of students then go away and never return the key, leaving half the lockers out of service - locked with no bike in them.

Has anyone any experience of a bike locker system that gets around this type of problem?
Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
My Strava

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    The council office I used to work at, the keys were at reception and you had to sign them out. Not much use if reception isn't manned or is far away though.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Simple here - you provide your own lock and if you leave it on the locker over night you might well find it cropped off in the morning. Don't know if this threat has ever been carried out but the lockers are always empty overnight!
    Faster than a tent.......