rear tyre hitting front mech

Simon_Rhino
Simon_Rhino Posts: 66
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I need to change a knackered front mech on my 2013 Ridley Ignite A40 29er but can't find one that doesn't sit so tight up against the rear tyre that theres always contact. I'm still running the 2.2 Conti X-Kings it came with so not using some over-sized mud knobblies it was never meant to take and have double checked the wheel is sitting correctly.

any ideas?

cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Presumably the one you broke worked. What was it?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Have you actually set up the mech? - until you've attached the cable and set the limit screws, the return spring will pull the cage inboard, probably much further than it will need to be in use.

Also, check that the derailleur cage is sitting parallel to the chainrings - if it's sitting at an angle, then it would be more prone to rubbing.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    You may find that a single pull mech (to suit your frame) will do the job where the normal dual pulls wont. Single pull has a lot less 'clutter' so usually gives a better clearance.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • thanks, I'll get a photo taken later.

It was just 'standard' Deore that came off, but new seems a slightly different size - with co-operation of lbs have tried every mech in stock - Altus on at the mo

I'm certainly not ruling out 'pilot error' on my part, but thought I (for once) might not be to blame

cheers

edit - pics below:

• lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    To start with the lower limit of the cage is set too far in - it needs adjusting out - the problem may then go away :)
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    High mount are slimmer behind the seat tube as the limit screws tend to be outboard not behind the seat tube.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thanks - it is by the limit screws that it tyre rubs; new mechs all seem to stick our backwards further than original

guess its just a question of keep trying until find one that fits

edit - will the pull ratios from a road mech be the same as MTB?

cheers
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No the pull is different.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I would try a high mount ...
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I'd go 1x, but that is a very lazy solution.
  • tempted as I always am to go for the laziest option, have now managed to find a mech (new 'old' Altus) that gives enough clearance to (only just) not foul the wheel.