Changing wheels to disc brakes

e17blade
e17blade Posts: 215
edited August 2014 in Workshop
The situation......

1. I got some nice shiny new Dura Ace wheels for my road bike
2. Hence I now have a spare set of (non disc) Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels
3. I have a Rose cross bike on the way with Rose CR1900 disc wheels and cross tyres
One of these: http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pr ... aid:692275

The question (*** apologies in advance if this is a very stupid question :oops: ***).....

If I wanted to use the spare Mavic wheels with road tyres on the cross bike for commuting, would it be possible to convert them to disc brakes and set them up the same as the Rose wheels so that I could simply just swap the wheels in and out without having to mess around with the derailleur (or anything else)?

My guess is that it is a stupid question, and that the answer is "no", but thought I'd ask anyway.

Cheers.

Dave

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    No. There is no economical way to do that.
  • e17blade
    No. There is no economical way to do that.

Damn! If that is the case, that leads to the next question, which is.....

If I want to be able to swap between cross tyres and commuting tyres super quickly and without fuss, is my best bet......

1. Just change the tyres over every time?

...or...

2. Sell the spare wheels and buy some wheels that would be swappable? Or would that be equally uneconomical?

Cheers.

Dave
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,546
    Swapping wheels is quicker although I recently bought a new set of wheels so I have one for slicks and one for offroad. The disc rotors aren't in exactly the same location on the two sets so there's a bit of pad adjustment required when the wheels swap over - nothing too difficult with BB7 brakes, just a couple of turns of a torqx nut.

I guess it might be because I have 2 types or rotor - centrelock on the offroad wheels, 6 bolt fitting on the road set.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    just use your left foot between the seat-tube and wheel where the chainstay joins. Used to do this as a nipper.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    E17Blade wrote:
    2. Sell the spare wheels and buy some wheels that would be swappable? Or would that be equally uneconomical?

this gives you the fastest swap, if you can afford to get a second set of rose wheels then at least they are built with the same components so less likely to have any issue swapping, plus maybe you can haggle for a better price
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271
    Swapping tyres takes about 5-10 minutes... more like 20 if you want to run tubeless. Buying extra wheels because you can't be bothered is a luxury
    left the forum March 2023
  • e17blade
    Swapping tyres takes about 5-10 minutes... more like 20 if you want to run tubeless. Buying extra wheels because you can't be bothered is a luxury

Yeah - thought so - was just thinking that as I had a pair of spare wheels knocking around....

Oh well, never mind!

Cheers.

Dave
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

However, if you are buying factory consumable wheels then eventually you replace them anyway. So having two pairs of wheels is a net additional cost of zero. You are just incurring the cost earlier.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    It's certainly possible - but it's going to take you half a day of fiddling to get the rotors in the same place on each wheel - Leonard Zinn wrote about it on Velonews recently. You just have to do it by trial and error and possibly by adding shims etc.

Whatever happens you're going to be changing something though - at least the cassette if you have other wheels so it's probably just as easy to change the tyres - certainly not more than a few more minutes.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Half a day really? Being a long term user of disc brakes on mTB's, I have swapped forks and wheels and set everything up in well under an hour.

Yes some fiddling maybe needed but it need not take long so I would not worry about it. Too much hot air about disc brakes at the moment as they are not enough users.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Depends how many bikes and how many sets of wheels you're trying to make compatible...
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Remember that if you're running a spare pair more/less than the other about chain wear on cassette, however its a two minute job to change them over once every couple of months.

If you've got the spare cash then yeah, do it. It also means that if you jazz up one set of wheels/get a puncture on the way home and can't be arsed to sort it out that night then you can just use the other all the time until you get yourself sorted.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I have two sets of wheels for the commuter/trainer/CXer.

One set with road slicks
    the other with CX tyres

You can use rotor shims to ensure that the rotors are in exactly the same position on both wheelsets (Syntace do them, see bike24). That way it's a 2 minute job to swap over, and no calliper adjustment necessary.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer