Wheel bearing advice Rockhopper 29er

mojonaut
mojonaut Posts: 6
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

First post here so go easy on me ;)

Just picked my 2013 Spec Rockhopper 29er up from the service shop, I bought this February 2013, it's only had light use on local bridleways.

They've informed me the front and rear hubs are in need of replacement and their parts supplier can't resource the needed parts. I'm getting on a bit so not into jumps and hard riding, is a years use the norm before these parts need replacing?

Where do I go to get replacement hubs?

Would it be more cost effective to have new hubs fitted or just get new wheels?

I don't feel competent to change the hubs myself so would need to pay someone to do it.

Also is there an option to upgrade the hubs to sealed bearings rather than cone/cup it currently has?

Seems this might make future bearing changes 'doable' by myself.

thanks

Bob

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd ask what parts do they say you need that they couldn't source.

I think you're saying they are cup and cone (which are sealed btw, I think you mean cartridge) - I can't see why they couldn't source bits for this or how a simple service couldn't sort it out.

Whatever really, changing hubs in a no-no unless you can do it yourself, otherwise it is more cost effective to change the whole wheel.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Read Parktools and have a look at DIY. Cup and cone are easy to service and the tools cost about a tenner. Generally just need a bit of grease and adjustment.
    Or find a new LBS.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    cooldad wrote:
    Read Parktools and have a look at DIY. Cup and cone are easy to service and the tools cost about a tenner. Generally just need a bit of grease and adjustment.
    Or find a new LBS.

This is what i would do as well. What do they mean the hubs need replacing ?

Are they cracked or damaged ?

If there are damaged then you are looking at replacement wheels.
  • mojonaut
    mojonaut Posts: 6
    Kajjal wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Or find a new LBS.

This is what i would do as well. What do they mean the hubs need replacing ?

Are they cracked or damaged ?

If there are damaged then you are looking at replacement wheels.

hi

tnx for replies,

Yes, hubs damaged, he cleaned out, replaced the balls and regreased but it still sounds and feels notchy when spun.

If going for like for like would the cost of buying new hubs and paying to have the wheel rebuilt work out more expensive than buying new wheels?

Or If buying new wheels would you recommend upgrading them but what to get/avoid? Would wheels with cartridge bearings would be a better option than a cup/cone setup? at least as far as future diy replacement goes as I think that's something I could do myself.

thanks

Bob
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    mojonaut wrote:
    If going for like for like would the cost of buying new hubs and paying to have the wheel rebuilt work out more expensive than buying new wheels?
    Not quite, but you'd be looking at paying about £45, £25 for the hub and £20 for the rebuild, but then for not much more than that you can get wheels that will be lighter than what you have now and possible better bearings.

I'm still suspicious about you needing a new hub, may just need new cones and balls (about £15 an end).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.