Storage on a bike

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
I like to keep things to a minimum on the bike, but given the vagaries of weather and "mechanicals" things tend to accumulate on longer rides.

I'm using a small under saddle pouch for tools, tubes and CO2 inflator and pockets for cylinders, phone/keys/cash. Lately I've been using a small tri-bag on the top tube for flapjacks and a couple of gels. Plus, of course a couple of bottles in their cages.

If I think I might need the waterproof, this rolls up reasonable well and can be stuffed in a jersey pocket, but it doesn't feel too secure there and I'm afraid I'll lose it over some bumpy stuff one of these days.

So, what's the answer? I'm loath to consider fitting a full size saddlebag on the bike.
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Errrr, jersey pocket. You shouldn't really lose anything from there - they are designed for not losing things! I have started using just the pockets without a saddle bag (certainly, you shouldn't need a tri - bag) and stuff doesn't get lost. I'll probably go back to using a saddle bag though as it looks neater having the pockets less stuffed.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    My solution is similar to yours. I use a pretty small saddle bag for multi-tool, tube, patches, money. Pockets for phone, keys, nutrition and either a gilet or light wind/waterproof if required. Small pump mounted under a bottle cage.
    On very occassional long rides where I want to bring along lots of food or a camera, I've been known to use a "tri-bag" on the top tube behind the stem but I find this a little irritating, especially when out of the saddle as my knees tend to graze it occasionally so I don't normally use this.
    Maybe you just need a smaller rain jacket? Mine are very lightweight and easily stuff into my middle pocket on top of my phone and keys. If anything they make things more secure (I don't bring a full raincoat unless I plan to wear it throughout. Normally, for unpredicatable weather I bring either a gilet or a windstopper both of which are very compact)
    If I felt the need for more space and it didn't have to be accessible on the move, I'd go with a larger saddle bag, but I don't so I won't.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I know a guy who hangs his waterproof in its storage back off the front of his bars. It effectively sits inside the "bubble" created by the cables as the come off the bars and head to the calipers and gears.