Bit of schadenfreude anyone?

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
http://road.cc/content/news/125268-anti-cycling-dales-councillor-banned-drink-driving

Out of interest, confessional time, has anyone ever knocked the wing mirror off a stationary car? Sounds a bit implausible to me...

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    PBo wrote:
    http://road.cc/content/news/125268-anti-cycling-dales-councillor-banned-drink-driving

Out of interest, confessional time, has anyone ever knocked the wing mirror off a stationary car? Sounds a bit implausible to me...

I've seen a cyclist do it in Cambridge (filtering up the inside and knocked the mirror clean off - picked it up, handed it to the driver and rode off... :shock: )

I'm glad this councillor has been pinched but I bet he's (possibly) regretting being the Good Samaritan in the motorbike accident.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I'm surprised, because the one time I clipped a wing mirror, it was me who was knocked clean off!!!!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    PBo wrote:
    I'm surprised, because the one time I clipped a wing mirror, it was me who was knocked clean off!!!!

Yeah, I clipped a mirror before. I thought I'd broken my elbow and there was much compound swearing.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mick_cornick
    mick_cornick Posts: 175
    Already enjoying this!

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12977104
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    PBo wrote:

Yes indeed.
    A car attempted to do a u-turn in front of me without indicating.
    He was at a standstill by the time I hit him and the mirror came clean off as I went over the bonnet.

I do not go close enough to do it to a parked car, nor one in stationary traffic, as I value my own health.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I palm-striked a wing mirror of a car that decided to not wait for me to clear the cars parked on his side of the road. Smashed the glass but the mirror was still attached. The driver was not very happy, ask me if I care...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    I was filtering along outside of slow traffic heading West just by Embankment tube station. Just as I came alongside a black cab, he suddenly decided to swing a u-turn with no warning. I slid along the right side of his cab, caught his wing-mirror in the crook of my arm, and it came off (the wing mirror, not my arm :) ). I have an image in my mind, as I looked down wobbling past the front of the cab still somehow upright, of a wing-mirror in bits on the road just by his front door. I thought to myself "your problem mate, serves you right".
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    On a similar subject: For years Direct Line had my salutation down as Wing Commander. I never had the heart to change it as it looked so cool. :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    I once punched a wing mirror and took it clean off. I was on a motorbike filtering past traffic on Kew Bridge and a car coming the other way pulled across towards the middle of the road to squeeze me. I moved over as far as I could and took a swing at his mirror, it flew quite well as I recall. Carbon knuckle guards on the motorbike gloves were strong enough thankfully as that was a really stupid thing to do.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On a similar subject: For years Direct Line had my salutation down as Wing Commander. I never had the heart to change it as it looked so cool. :)
    Shouldn't have been Cape Commander?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    On a similar subject: For years Direct Line had my salutation down as Wing Commander. I never had the heart to change it as it looked so cool.
    :) Spooky. I was a Reverend for a while according to NU; lord knows why.

Not a wing mirror but I once caved the rear light cluster in on the back of a nearly new Marina van with my h/bars on my paper-round, mainly due to peering down at the mileometer attached to the front hub driven by a peg on the spokes that nudged a star-wheel round. I legged it, being 14. It was a long while ago and we didn't have an internet then to refer to.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    PBo wrote:

I've seen a cyclist do it in Cambridge (filtering up the inside and knocked the mirror clean off - picked it up, handed it to the driver and rode off... :shock: )

I'm glad this councillor has been pinched but I bet he's (possibly) regretting being the Good Samaritan in the motorbike accident.

Good. I hope it eats him up. The drink-driving sentences are a bloody joke.