Another Windproof Thread

fatdaz
fatdaz Posts: 348
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all

I did the Etape a couple of weeks ago and was surprised to find that staying warm was the biggest challenge in the South of France in July. Coming down off Col du Tourmalet the temperature was about 4-5 degrees and the rain was torrential. I had on a Craft mesh baselayer (it was summer in France after all and was 41 degrees when we climbed Col Du L'Aspin 2 days before) a normal short-sleeved jersey, fleece lined arm warmers and a Montaine Featherlight windproof but I was utterly freezing - as cold as I have ever been on a bike. I didn't expect to keep dry but I did expect to be warmer. The Montaine windproof has always been a reasonable wind stopper even when wet but this time the wind seemed to cut right through it.

The forecast had indicated that the weather might turn but it might not and in any event but the day started warm and with 80km to ride before we reached Tourmalet I didn't want to overheat in the early stages of the ride. I figured the combination above would cope, that I might be a bit cold but I'd be OK. In reality everything got so wet that the wind descending the mountain just cut straight through it.

What would be a better packable windproof than the Montaine? I'm not looking for something similar but something lightweight and packable that will do a better job of keeping out the wind when it's extremely wet. I don't expect to stay dry but are there options that would keep me wet and warmer or is it just that packing for those extreme conditions is a bit pot luck?

Cheers

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I've got a Sportful No Rain a Stretch jacket which seems pretty good and is still packable, fitting easily into a jersey pocket (not as small as the Montane though as a little more substantial). Think PBK were rolling them out with a decent discount?
    http://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-clot ... 45870.html
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    Cheers, will have a look. It occurred to me reading your response and re-reading my original post, am I expecting too much of a packable windproof? Should I have used a different baselayer?
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    From what I've heard from friends who rode Etape this year, trying to figure out what to wear was the hardest thing of all. One friend was annoyed he didn't take his Gabba, and wear it under a waterproof shell, but who would have thought you'd need all that?!?!?!
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I would, if it is raining in the mountains. You have to be prepared to suffer low single figure temperatures at the top of mountain climbs, whatever the weather down below.

I usually wear a short sleeved baselayer, short sleeved jersey, insulating gilet, armwarmers and then a thickish waterproof/windprooof shell for descents (a wiggle clear race shell). There's not much more you can do, apart from taking full winter gear, but then you'd be overheating on the climbs and possibly not making it to the top. It's not easy.