Buying a new, worse bike to race on...

dilatory
dilatory Posts: 565
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
I've set myself a goal of starting to race road races and crits at Cat 4 next year. I know how treacherous these can be and really don't want to destroy my good bike. It will also make me worry less because I wont be panicking about wrecking on my nice bike. I plan to also double it up as a winter trainer. I'll probably go no higher than Tiagra/2014 Sora. Maybe a discount Felt etc when sales come around or whatever second hand I can find.

Is this a wise move? Budget would be around £600 but could stretch a little.

Comments

• antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    i have never raced so I don't know how likely you are to crash but what about a second hand bike of reasonable quality for about the same money?
  • dilatory
    Yes a second hand bike is also perfectly fine, it's whatever the best I can get within budget will be.
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    I did quite a lot of racing on my winter bike (without guards on) even in summer, but I still used my good bike when I felt I had the form to do something as although the weight/stiffness only made a slight difference, more than that it encouraged me to give it a full effort when I wheeled out the best bike - no excuses.

Saying that, you are much more likely to crash in a race than at any other time, at any level, so if you can't stomach the replacement costs it's a good plan not to risk your pride and joy. You need to see it purely as a tool to do a job whatever the cost or you'll not relax into the race. Use this as a guide to tell you what you are happy spending on your racing kit.

Why not give it a try this year - plenty of racing still to go? :D
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Race insurance?
  • dilatory
    I will happily use my good bike if I were to progress or if I were to get through a good handful of races and know what it was about. I don't want to do my first race on the bike I love. I know Cat 4 races aren't a guaranteed crash but they're much much more likely. I'd like it to be the bike I'm not afraid to get dirty and wont be sad when the paint looks a little worse for wear.

Is there any insurance for racing that is any cop? It seems even normal bicycle insurance is a joke, even keeping it just in my house isn't good enough, needs to be locked to something inside haha.

As for racing this year, it'll be a little too soon I think. I only really started riding seriously in February (was 6 stone heavier this time last year). I've done a few TTs on road bike (and not come last, including a hill climb where I came 3rd!), a chain gang or two where I've managed to hang on and achieved most of my cycling goals. I plan to use the winter to really knuckle down on interval training and get ready to begin with the season next year.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Standard bike insurance with a ~£30 competitive racing add on.

Cheaper than a £600 new bike, means you can ride the bike you train on, has the added benefit of all year round insurance including health and third party and you don't need to find room for another bike.
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    A second-hand Boardman or a Specialized would do you right. I started CX racing last year and bought a used Cube bike to race on - you stop worrying about the bike and focus on the race if it's already scratched and scraped.
  • herzog
    herzog Posts: 197
    Planet x or Ribble are good starting points.

Don't race what you can't replace ;)
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    Herzog wrote:
    Don't race what you can't replace ;)

That's snappy, I like it :)