Vittoria tyres?

Bwgan
Bwgan Posts: 389
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
I asked a work colleague who has cycled for years if he had any suggestions for a tyre for the summer and he suggested Vittoria zaffiro. Anyone got any views on these?

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I don't think the Zaffiro is bad though I think it tends to be the tyre they throw on new bikes (a bit like the Schwalbe Lugano and that Conti Sport thing). At the low end of pricing, I'd go with the Rubino Pro II folding tyre. At a similar but normally higher price (but good deals around) the Michelin Pro4. There's a zillion What Tyre threads on here or just look at the ratings on Wiggle which, generally, are pretty good a guide as to what is OK. Opinions on tyres always vary.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    If budget is tight, they will do the job, but with a 26 TPI carcass is a bit like riding on a non-pneumatic tyre.

Possible drawbacks include poor grip on corners and wet and generally a very dull, slow and uninspiring ride
    left the forum March 2023
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    I've never ridden any Vittoria's but I can recommend GP4000s.I find them the quickest tyres I've tried bar Ultremo ZXs (which puncture, a lot!) and find they're well protected enough that I can ride them all year round too.

Can normally be found in some nicely priced two tyre bundles too.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Vittoria are good but I stick to the top end rubinos.
  • furiousd
    furiousd Posts: 214
    I have Rubino Pros on both the Cervelo and Bianchi.
    I really like them. Slicks on one, normal on the other.
    They can cut but seem puncture resistant as much as the tyres the other guys use that i ride with.
    D
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Vittoria Open Corsa CX are nice. Depends what you want to pay I guess.
  • bendip
    bendip Posts: 114
    http://www.merlincycles.com/vittoria-ru ... 47115.html

http://www.merlincycles.com/vittoria-ru ... 63561.html

I'm got the slicks on a steel bike which can only take 23mm cos of the oem mudguards and the
    pro 3's in 28mm on my old cx9 cross bike, enjoying both sets of tyres and i'll purchase rubino pros
    again...don't forget the quidco/topcashback if you buy from merlin
    Tell the stars I'm coming,
    make them leave a space for me;
    whether bones, or dust,
    or ashes once among them I'll be free
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Corsa evo sc’s are great because they roll and grip amazingly (320 tpi carcasses). They don’t like glass or thorns though!

The pave’s are popular in my club for the flandrian stuff.
  • kangarouge
    kangarouge Posts: 210
    I was using Rubino Pros and liked them very much. However, I decided to try some GP4000s because of all the good reviews. I'm very impressed and will not be going back to Vittorias even though they are a little cheaper.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Kangarouge wrote:
    I was using Rubino Pros and liked them very much. However, I decided to try some GP4000s because of all the good reviews. I'm very impressed and will not be going back to Vittorias even though they are a little cheaper.

I like GP4ks to ride on but I just have no end of punctures with them - especially as soon as there's some damp about. They're no quicker in my experience than the Rubinos though some claim they're grippier in the wet (just before they puncture :wink:). I'm sure others will have different opinions but these are mine.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The zaffiro does not have great puncture protection or grip but it is really cheap. I also have found the go 4seasons puncture in the wet and that is after trying about 6 tyres in total over the last two winters. For puncture resistance in the wet I now use gator skin hard shells and if you take a leap of faith they actually do grip. I happily ride though on Vittoria paves and gp4000s tyres through out most of the year.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Zaffiros are hosepipes.
    As such they belong on bikes used predominantly to transport people to the local corner shop, the pub or to appointments connected with claims for job seeker's allowance.
    They do not belong on bikes used for recreation and the pursuit of pleasure . Especially not when that pleasure derives intrinsically from the enjoyment of riding a well engineered machine.
    Consequently, there is no perceptible enjoyment to be had from riding around on a £7.49 tyre or any place for it on such a bike.
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    Kangarouge wrote:

I like GP4ks to ride on but I just have no end of punctures with them - especially as soon as there's some damp about. They're no quicker in my experience than the Rubinos though some claim they're grippier in the wet (just before they puncture :wink:). I'm sure others will have different opinions but these are mine.

GP4000s seem pretty hit and miss puncture wise. I ride mine all weather and haven't punctured at all, yet I read of plenty who have in the wet.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I picked up some open corsa's last year and finally put them on for the summer back in march. Really very good tyres, much better ride than the conti-sports i had on for winter and better durability than last summers pro 4's which cut up very quickly. I have not had one cut in the corsas yet.... The rubinho's I used previous winter were a bit skittish in the wet and didn't roll well, much slower than the schwalbe ultremo's, but far more durable. The ultremos lasted about 10wks before they succumbed to the dreaded disintegrating side walls but they were very, very fast while they lasted. On balance get some nice fast tyres for while the weather holds and swap to something tougher for the winter.
  • nfrang
    nfrang Posts: 250
    I'm currently using cheapy Zaffiro's on my commuter. Would these be £25 well spent as an upgrade?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYSCDUETW/schwalbe-durano-etape-wired-tyre
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I believe the Vittoria Rubino Pro the best cheap option at ~£18 a tyre. The comparable Michelin (Pro4), Schwalbe (Durano) and Continental are a bit more.
  • nfrang
    nfrang Posts: 250
    Sorry should have stated thats £12.50 each (TDF special edition)
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Ah, well that does make them cheap! They are wired and 23mm though. I'd be looking for folding 25mm tyres myself.