New Bike - Wheel Advice Needed

Lance9109
Lance9109 Posts: 35
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
OK, so been cycling for 18-24 months now and whilst still riding mainly for fitness with the odd group sortie/sportive thrown in, I have really been bitten by the bug. Therefore decided to upgrade my bike to a Storck Scentron G2 with SRAM Force 22 which is being built by my LBS. My dilemma is over wheel choice. The LBS is a Mavic stockist and options currently are (in order of expense - lowest to highest):

1. Aksiums - a respectable entry level wheel but feel I should be kitting her out with something that has required a bit more investment
2. Kysirium Equipes - more mid range, with good scores in reviews, but again wonder whether I should be 'pushing the boat' out a bit further?
3. Cosmic Elite S - deeper rim attractiveness but a bit heavy?
4. Kysirium Elites - reviews are simply excellent and I'm sure they will serve well when climbing
5. Cosmic Carbone SLS - great aero looks and seem to have respectable reviews in terms of climbing ability but I ain't no speed racer!

My heart says the Cosmic Carbone SLSs not least for how stunning they would look on the bike, whilst my head say the Kysirium Elites would be the more practical choice. Just really want the bike to look stunning but don't want to sacrifice sense for style. For info, I currently ride a Bianchi Via Nirone on Campag Zondas (will be my winter ride) - largely doing mid distance good paced spins but living near N Wales do like the odd climbing excursion! :twisted:

Reached the point of confusion so all advice appreciated. Thanks.
2011 Bianchi Via Nirone 7 - Campag Veloce and Zonda wheels
2014 Storck Scentron G2 - SRAM Force 22 and Mavic Ksyrium SLS wheels

Comments

• sirmol
    sirmol Posts: 287
    buy the best you can afford. :D Not technical advise but that is my philosophy otherwise i always end up regretting and wishing i had bought the 'better' version.
  • Lance9109
    Lance9109 Posts: 35
    Thanks Sirmol. Know exactly where you are coming from - terrible thing that buyers regret! Much worse than remorse! Lol

Know there are lots of experienced knowledgeable posters on here so would appreciate any more views. Particularly if you own any of the wheels? (Pros and cons would be good)
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    I've heard the Kyrsiums are a nightmare if they go wrong but they do look the business imo.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • Quick update. Arrived to collect the bike and the LBS owner had equipped it with the Cosmic SLSs - looked amazing but as I was after an all-rounder just couldn't bring myself to part with my hard earned on them as my main set of wheels. Eventually opted for the Ksyrium SLSs. Saved myself a few bob and have not been disappointed. Stiff, roll well (very smooth hubs) and set the bike off well - if perhaps not quite as sexy as the Cosmics! Recommended.