Upgrade Rotors... Requirements ?

Proz
Proz Posts: 136
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello all
I have a Boardman Team FS 650B .... I would like to upgrade / upsize the rotors or discs.
The front has a 170mm and the rear has 160mm.
Im not sure about the mounts and what would be required to upgrade the rotors and what sizes does everyone recommend to go to ?
Pics below

180mm for the front and 180mm for the rear or does that not work etc ?

Looking for any helpful advice please .
Thanks
Front
20140729_122903_zpsb0bff582.jpg

Rear
20140729_123006_zpsce0b42fe.jpg
Boardman AiRPro C
Boardman FS Team 650b

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    if you are in glasgow I've got a 200mm HS1 I could sell you - put it on the bike but it doesn't really line up withmy shimano calipers so came back off again. £18 and its yours then all you need is the front adaptor, I'd just keep the rear as 160
  • Proz
    POAH wrote:
    if you are in glasgow I've got a 200mm HS1 I could sell you - put it on the bike but it doesn't really line up withmy shimano calipers so came back off again. £18 and its yours then all you need is the front adaptor, I'd just keep the rear as 160

Hi
    Im not in Glasgow unfortunately in in Fife ... Post ??
    What condition is the 200mm in ?
    Do you know what adapters I would need if I was to put your 200 on the front and the 170mm I have on the back ?
    This is part of the problem as I don't know what adapters I need and don't want to end up buying the wrong stuff ?

Thanks
    Boardman AiRPro C
    Boardman FS Team 650b
  • Proz
    Wow ... I didn't realise this was such a difficult issue :shock:

Guess I'll just go to my LBS.

Thanks Anyway .
    Boardman AiRPro C
    Boardman FS Team 650b
  • bigdrew1
    bigdrew1 Posts: 353
    You will need a post mount to post mount adaptor for what ever size rotor you want to run. For example on the forks:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod13747

Some more information here viewtopic.php?p=1590919

I'm not sure it is a worth while upgrade.. +10mm on the front wont make any real world difference and there isn't really any reason to put a bigger rotor on the back assuming you can pull a skid and don't regularly overheat you brake..
  • bigdrew1
    bigdrew1 Posts: 353
    They both look like 6" post mount so the adaptors from the front should swap over with the rotor
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Proz wrote:
    POAH wrote:

Hi
    Im not in Glasgow unfortunately in in Fife ... Post ??
    What condition is the 200mm in ?
    Do you know what adapters I would need if I was to put your 200 on the front and the 170mm I have on the back ?
    This is part of the problem as I don't know what adapters I need and don't want to end up buying the wrong stuff ?

Thanks

happy to post sure, basically new. got it from CRC, put it on bike when up the street came back too them off so they have about 150ft on them

you need to get front avid 200mm CPS adaptor which may not be easy
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    I'll ask the obvious - Why do you want to upgrade them?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    And what size discs are the forks rated for, almost certainly not 200mm!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    The Rookie wrote:
    And what size discs are the forks rated for, almost certainly not 200mm!

Rockshox Sector = 210mm maximum rotor size

Avid's '40mm POST' adapter is needed for a 200mm rotor on that fork.