Helmet Question

Pufftmw
Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
No, not a debate as to whether or not you should wear one :roll:

My personal proclivity is that when commuting in London, I want the best protection for my bonce that I can get. Stop short of a fullface but wear a Scott Stego enduro MTB helmet - nice dropped rear and a MIPS system but not the lightest or most breathable.

Whilst on holiday last week, did a few miles on some empty roads in 25+ heat and all that lovely enclosed skull protection made me sweat buckets.

What is a good road helmet these days? Offering crash protection & breathability? I think I need something for when I'm not commuting or throwing myself down the sides of mountains.

Comments

• junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    I have one of these, and wear it all year round, it's comfy in the heat.... As for crash protection, I don't plan on trying it out to test it, but I'm of the impression it's better than not wearing it if I do hit my head.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid ... n&tbm=shop
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    I got a Kask Mojito because it fits the shape of my head nicely, feels cooler than previous lids I've had. I'd definitely recommend it.
    Some people struggle seem to get glasses on with them so try it with and without glasses. Although I've not found it an issue. I'm sure you're aware to try them on for fit to your head.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I got a Kask Mojito because it fits the shape of my head nicely, feels cooler than previous lids I've had. I'd definitely recommend it.
    Some people struggle seem to get glasses on with them so try it with and without glasses. Although I've not found it an issue. I'm sure you're aware to try them on for fit to your head.
    I have one of these too.

I do have the issue with sunnies (but I think it's more to do with my sunglasses as they have ridiculously long arms).

However, not a biggie, as on most rides I only wear shades for about 10% of the time as they wearing sunnies annoys me whilst riding.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I used a cheap Abus helmet (£35 from LBS) for a couple of years, but have recently splashed out on a Mojito. Not had an issue with glasses. TBH there is little to choose between the Abus and Kask helmets, but the Mojito does fit slightly better so I'm hoping this means better protection should I crash.

I have used pi$$pot helemts too when I used to BMX... never again! Not enough ventilation, and I doubt that it would be any more protective than the expensive Kask should I hit my head hard. Although, the BMX helmet certainly will take a few knocks without taking any damage itself.
  • I have a Kask K10, which is superb. Very airy and fits fantastically. Not sure how well it would fair in a crash, I hope I never find out.

For crash protection, I can personally vouch for the Giro Atmos, when I fell off my mountain bike, my elbow and head hit the ground at roughly the same time with roughly the same amount of impact. My elbow broke, my head didn't. Wasn't as cool around the head as the Kask, though, and is now rather flat in places.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I've had Specialized, Giro's and now Kask. Can't talk about protection but the Kask fits my bonce better than anything has done before.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Try lots on. Mojito was a revelation for me in terms of fit and comfort when first I tried it. Now wear a Cannondale Teramo. It's less than half the price, fits just as well and seems better vented, but doesn't have the bling factor.
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    I recenly got my first helmet, for commuting.

I tried the Kask range and found them a lot more comfortable than I expected.

At full price would have probably got the Mojito, but they had the Vertigo on offer for £100, making it cheaper, so got that.
  • veronese68
    Bizarrely the Mojito fitted my head better than the Vertigo. I'm glad it did as that promotion would have been really irritating otherwise.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Whatever you do, try and avoid a smelly or sweaty helmet.

I wear a met stradivarius (matt black) again, i find it fits me really well, but they are quite hard to find.

Basically you need to pick a price point and go and try a load on.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Bizarrely the Mojito fitted my head better than the Vertigo. I'm glad it did as that promotion would have been really irritating otherwise.

Shouldn't have been - the Vertigo has a higher retail price but weighs more than the Mojito. I think you get in insect mesh thingy with the Vertigo but that's not biggie for me as I always wear a buff under the helmet. Sky wouldn't favour the Mojito over the Vertigo without good reason.

If you don't want to go to Mojito price, I have a K50 that fits just the same as the Mojito. A little heavier and bulkier with older style separate pads but still an excellent helmet. Can get those for less than £70 I think.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Another vote fot the Mojito. No issues with sunnies / glasses for me.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Pufftmw
    Wow - strong votes for Kask Mojito, never heard of it before yesterday. Thanks guys. Where to find in London?
  • Pufftmw
    King of Mountains one looks good!

Would be like putting a double target on your back...
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Pufftmw wrote:
    Wow - strong votes for Kask Mojito, never heard of it before yesterday. Thanks guys. Where to find in London?

Cycle Surgery stock Kask.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    +1 for Kask Mojito. Great fit, love it.
  • veronese68
    Pufftmw wrote:
    King of Mountains one looks good!

Would be like putting a double target on your back...
    I got one with World Champ stripes. If anyone queries them I will point out that I can be a world class arsehole too.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Wiggle have 20% off
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?