Advice/Help/Opinion: Helmet that looks OK?

drewesq
drewesq Posts: 137
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Being unfortunate enough to have a rather oblong shaped cranium means I struggle to find a helmet that doesn't make me look like one!

All the ones I try just kind of sit on top of my head and just looks weird! I have tried a few skate ones on and they look a little better but still weird!

I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend any better fitting helmets? I do like the idea of a full face but I'll need to be able to drink while riding as I will also use on my cross bike too!

Appreciate any help :)
Cannondale CAADX Disc 2014 Tiagra - Blue
Charge Plug 0
Voodoo Bizango 2015
Ridgeback World Tour (mainly for commuting and holidays)
:mrgreen:

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    I also have a slightly odd-shaped head and found that lots of helmets didn't sit right, but what suits me won't necessarily suit you. The only way forward is to go to as many shops as you can and try on as many different helmets as you can until you find one that feels right.(Halfords, Evans and Go Outdoors can be useful as they might have a larger range than a small independant LBS) .

I eventually plumped for the MET Crossover, as the fit is just right for me.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Everyone looks like a knob in a helmet.
    Nobody cares.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    cooldad wrote:
    Everyone looks like a knob in a helmet.
    Nobody cares.

^ This. It's one of the wonders of the universe how a helmet can look so cool when you hold it in your hands and then so stupid as soon as you lift it up and put it on your head.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    It's one of the wonders of the universe how a helmet can look so cool when you hold it in your hands and then so stupid as soon as you lift it up and put it on your head.

is that what you say to all the boys?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You look more of a knob with blood pouring from your shattered skull when you don't wear a helmet.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    POAH wrote:
    It's one of the wonders of the universe how a helmet can look so cool when you hold it in your hands and then so stupid as soon as you lift it up and put it on your head.

is that what you say to all the boys?

:) If I could put my helmet on my head I wouldn't have to work for a living.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cyd190468 wrote:
    I would suggest that looks is the last thing to consider in a helmet. Fit and whether it is suited to the riding you do are the main points. Then colour if there's options. They are afterall protective gear not fashion. If you work a job that requires steelcap boots you wouldn't go for the ones that look good? Would you?
    Some might
    image1xl.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    cooldad wrote:
    cyd190468 wrote:
    I would suggest that looks is the last thing to consider in a helmet. Fit and whether it is suited to the riding you do are the main points. Then colour if there's options. They are afterall protective gear not fashion. If you work a job that requires steelcap boots you wouldn't go for the ones that look good? Would you?
    I would
    image1xl.jpg

:lol:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Dirt had an article today on their web about 10 best helmets. Ixs one looked good.
    they say it also fits lots of weird shaped noggins.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.