Calshot beginners session - what to wear? Any tips?

shaunclaridge
shaunclaridge Posts: 87
edited August 2014 in Track
This Saturday I am doing the 4 hour slipstream session at calshot. I have never been on a track before - what should I wear?

I was thinking just bibs, wicking layer, jersey and gloves. calshot seem to recommend being fully covered so I could wear my longer bibs and long sleeve jersey. I take it this is for protection if you fall - is it really going to make much difference if I come off? I'm guessing it's not going to pleasant anyway lol

Anyone know how hot it gets in there? Would would you recommend wearing?

Also any tips for a complete beginner? I'm used to long rides and touring but have never ridden fixed.

Comments

• gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    Re: clothes - I did one session there a couple of years ago, but that was in January and it was bloody freezing. In this weather I'd expect you to be too hot if you wear tights / long sleeves. I've done three sessions at the new velodrome in London over the last month or two and worn shorts and short sleeves every time.

Re: fixed - you'll just have to ride it to get used to it. The strangest thing (obviously) is not being able to freewheel - you might mentally switch off and try to freewheel and you'll find you get kicked up as your legs simply can't stop going round. It's also a bit disconcerting at first not being able to brake, but you'll get plenty of practise at controlling your speed. One other thing - when you stop, make sure you have your right pedal where you want it for starting again (e.g. in the one o'clock position), because you can't just swing the pedal up without moving.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    You have to wear gloves or mits, shorts are fine as is undervest and short, I sometimes wear arm or legwarmers for warm up but only in winter.
    As for tips, just stay over 15mph, which is easy and dont stop pedalling, thats it. People get too wound up about track riding, it is a bike and two wheels on a wooden track.