Berlin - Eateries and Drinkeries

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited July 2014 in The cake stop
Am off to Berlin first week of Sept for a few nights. Can anyone kindly recommend some good places to eat and drink.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    If you are there on a Thursday, I really recommend 'Street Food Thursday' at the Markthalle Neun in Kreuzberg. I got very well fed and boozed there a few weeks ago.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Can anyone kindly recommend some good places to eat and drink.

I suggest restaurants for the food and bars and cafes for the drink and maybe some snacks.

Hope that helps.
  • mr_goo
    johnfinch wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Can anyone kindly recommend some good places to eat and drink.

I suggest restaurants for the food and bars and cafes for the drink and maybe some snacks.

Hope that helps.

I take my hat off to you sir. Why surely you are the funniest man that ever lived.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • finchy
    Funny? I was trying to be annoying, not funny.
  • There are loads of places, you'll be spoilt for choice for nearly everything. I was going to recommend a Block House Steak Restaurant but the one I went to has since been closed. I think it's a chain, but it was one of the best Steaks I've ever had, the sauerkraut was incredible.

The rotating restaurant at the top of TV Tower at Alexanderplatz is pretty cool (http://www.tv-turm.de/en/restaurant.php)

Also get a doner kebab from one of the take aways. Again, the best I've ever tasted especially from the Turkish places.

And order a "Berliner weisse mit schuss".

Have a good trip, I loved the city. The only place in the World i'd live apart from Middlesbrough ;)
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • finchy
    On a more helpful note, I've never been to Berlin, so I can't suggest anywhere specific, but there's a German drink called Sturm (I think). Treat yourself to a bottle of that. Also try warmed plum schnapps with honey if it's a chilly evening.
  • mr_goo
    There are loads of places, you'll be spoilt for choice for nearly everything. I was going to recommend a Block House Steak Restaurant but the one I went to has since been closed. I think it's a chain, but it was one of the best Steaks I've ever had, the sauerkraut was incredible.

The rotating restaurant at the top of TV Tower at Alexanderplatz is pretty cool (http://www.tv-turm.de/en/restaurant.php)

Also get a doner kebab from one of the take aways. Again, the best I've ever tasted especially from the Turkish places.

Have a good trip, I loved the city. The only place in the World i'd live apart from Middlesbrough ;)

My daughter went to a Block House in Berlin couple of years ago. She too said it was the best steak she had ever had. There appears to be one just down the road from our hotel on Budapest Strasse.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    johnfinch wrote:

10/10 then :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • mr_goo
    johnfinch wrote:

No seriously. I laughed so much the tears trickled down my leg. Have you ever thought of doing a stint at the Edinburgh Fringe. :D
  • finchy
    arran77 wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

10/10 then :P

Good. I was in a belligerent mood this morning as the work I'm doing at the moment is a) terminally dull and b) pointless. Annoying other people on here is what keeps me on the right side of the dividing line between sanity and madness.
  • finchy
    Mr Goo wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

No seriously. I laughed so much the tears trickled down my leg. Have you ever thought of doing a stint at the Edinburgh Fringe. :D

Yellow tears by any chance? In larger quantities than usual?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mr_goo
    johnfinch wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

Absolutely. Two mugs of tea for brekkie and the diuretic effects can be fatal if set off by sharp, clever witticisms.
  • finchy
    Mr Goo wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

Absolutely. Two mugs of tea for brekkie and the diuretic effects can be fatal if set off by sharp, clever witticisms.

In that case I shall have to stop being so hilarious. It won't be easy to shake the habit of a lifetime though.

In all seriousness, don't miss out on those drinks I've suggested. They're lovely. The sort of booze that gets you pleasantly drunk.
  • pigeontoes
    pigeontoes Posts: 73
    The most unusual bar and a Berlin institution is 'Klo' - a toilet themed bar! First went in 1984 and was there again last weekend - beer served in served in a variety of unusual ways and great fun if there is a group of you. Website at www.klo.de
  • mr_goo
    johnfinch wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

In that case I shall have to stop being so hilarious. It won't be easy to shake the habit of a lifetime though.

In all seriousness, don't miss out on those drinks I've suggested. They're lovely. The sort of booze that gets you pleasantly drunk.

Cheers. Will do. I am very partial to wheat beer and Bock so am hoping to indulge in sampling at one or two of the Brauhauses.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    Few good restaurants around Savigny Platz in west Berlin.

Loads of choice around Mitte.

Try Freidrichshein - great Kebabs at Avci on the main road from s-bahn but loads of bars and restaurants around Simon Dach strasse.

Berlin's superb, great city!
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    There are loads of places, you'll be spoilt for choice for nearly everything. I was going to recommend a Block House Steak Restaurant but the one I went to has since been closed. I think it's a chain, but it was one of the best Steaks I've ever had, the sauerkraut was incredible.

I guess you must mean the old east side of Berlin that looks like its stuck in the 70's. Think it should be twinned with Boro.