105 groupset

sirmol
sirmol Posts: 287
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
I have a Spec Allez
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec030703
And have now come to a stage where i want to upgrade all to 105. What do i need to look for when search for 105? the rear mech do i need short or medium? Don't really understand the difference. I'm guessing i need a double 10 speed leaver set?
cheers for the advice

edit;
For example could i buy this;
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod121705

Comments

• Pedro77
    Pedro77 Posts: 59
    Assuming you are going 10sp you will need:
    New cassete, rear derailleur, new 10sp brake/gear levers, I assume you are not changing front derailleur and chainset.

Also you need to ensure your freewheel hub can accommodate a 10sp cassette.

I think you would probably better off save some cash, sell bike on eBay and buy a newer one with 105 but it's up too you off course.

Pedro
  • sirmol
    Pedro77 wrote:
    Assuming you are going 10sp you will need:
    New cassete, rear derailleur, new 10sp brake/gear levers, I assume you are not changing front derailleur and chainset.

Also you need to ensure your freewheel hub can accommodate a 10sp cassette.

I think you would probably better off save some cash, sell bike on eBay and buy a newer one with 105 but it's up too you off course.

Pedro

Cheers
  • caedev
    caedev Posts: 81
    I have an Allez and am planning to do exactly this. I've looked into it and plan to just replace the shitfters, cassette and chain. The existing RD will work fine with the 10 speed cassette so it's not essential in the first instance.

It should cost ~£110 for the pair of shifters, ~£30 for the cassette and ~£10 for the chain. I'd argue you'd end up spending a fair amount more than that if you we're to sell the bike and buy a new one.
  • sirmol
    caedev wrote:
    I have an Allez and am planning to do exactly this. I've looked into it and plan to just replace the shitfters, cassette and chain. The existing RD will work fine with the 10 speed cassette so it's not essential in the first instance.

It should cost ~£110 for the pair of shifters, ~£30 for the cassette and ~£10 for the chain. I'd argue you'd end up spending a fair amount more than that if you we're to sell the bike and buy a new one.

Yes that's what i'm thinking - I quite like my frame
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    caedev wrote:

What's the point? If your chain and cassette is worn then fine. But why bother getting new shifters and keeping the same mechs?

Are your current mechs even 10 speed? If so then why are you upgrading... and if not then it won't work.

That's £150 you don't really need to spend and won't see any noticeable improvement from. I would just get new chain (if worn), cassette (if worn) and cables (if worn) and the shifting will improve.
  • caedev
    Several reasons for me: I have a 2011 Allez which came with Sora 3400. I've been pretty impressed with it but the thumb shifters are annoying and mean I can't shift whilst on the drops. The lever shifters also have a really bad reach angle which requires massive hands to reach from the drops too. It's also 9 speed which isn't a major issue, but would be nice to have 10. The shifting on 3400 is also a little cumbersome and the changing chainring requires significant effort.

The mechs don't need to be 10 speed as the cable pull ratio is the same for both. Ultimately, I will replace both the front and rear mechs as well as the chaninset, but with my current budget I'm looking to break it into stages.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    There should be those little rubber pads that you can put in the shifters to change the reach.
  • caedev
    ...which just leaves all the other issues!

I've upgraded the wheels and various other components, so getting a better groupset seems a sensible purchase. 105 5700 is better for a number of reasons (lighter, better shifting, no thumb shifts, under tape cable routing etc.) and at £150 for the initial change it'll be a very worthwhile upgrade.
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    lawrences wrote:
    caedev wrote:

What's the point? If your chain and cassette is worn then fine. But why bother getting new shifters and keeping the same mechs?

Are your current mechs even 10 speed? If so then why are you upgrading... and if not then it won't work.

That's £150 you don't really need to spend and won't see any noticeable improvement from. I would just get new chain (if worn), cassette (if worn) and cables (if worn) and the shifting will improve.

9 speed mechs will work as long as the cassette and brifters are 10 speed.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Please don't say brifters. It's like scraping fingernails down a blackboard.
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    keef66 wrote:
    Please don't say brifters. It's like scraping fingernails down a blackboard.

I can't bring myself to say STIs though... :lol:
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I was never that impressed with my 5700 setup. 5800 may be better.