23mm Rims - Disc Brakes

epirb
epirb Posts: 16
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking for ideas for clincher rims for a disc brake road bike (road use only). Hubs are Novatec 711/712.

I've got a set of archetypes on my other bike and all things point towards them being a prime candidate for this build but for no other reason than looks, I fancy a deeper looking rim.

I considered the sl42 even though it's a bit on the heavy side, but I'm sold on 23mm wide.

As I don't care about a brake surface I thought about a Chinese set of carbon rims. Farsports 28H 50mmx23mm seem well thought of but at £240 before any duty, seemed a lot when compared to a set of archetypes, and I'm struggling to justify the difference all for the deep rim look.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    left the forum March 2023
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Seems like the boring choice is still the premier choice. I often look at other stuff but, well, they just work.

They're still true btw. They're what, 20 months old now? Amazing wheels. Wheel builder was ok :D
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • epirb
    Yeah it's difficult to look beyond the archetypes.

Good post ugo. I do read your blog but missed this update. Any idea who and when the Aileron will be supplied by?
  • ugo.santalucia
    epirb wrote:
    Yeah it's difficult to look beyond the archetypes.

Good post ugo. I do read your blog but missed this update. Any idea who and when the Aileron will be supplied by?

Velocity rims are distributed by Brick Lane Bikes-BigMama. I do speak to them regularly, but I have not had a date for when Aileron will land in the UK. My guess is in autumn... you can order it from the US, but I suppose once you add the duties and tax it might come a bit hefty.
    Besides, for road use only, a 25 mm wide rim is a bit OTT
  • epirb
    Fair enough, didn't pick up on the fact that the ailerons are 25mm.
    Thanks for the info.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I chewed this over for some time on my last build and ended up coming back to 28h Archetypes. Handsome, tough, can be run tubeless easily, so a sound choice.

However, like the OP, I'm still tempted by a carbon build and did consider the Chinese rims but didn't have quite enough faith to take the plunge at the time.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    maddog 2 wrote:
    I chewed this over for some time on my last build and ended up coming back to 28h Archetypes. Handsome, tough, can be run tubeless easily, so a sound choice.

However, like the OP, I'm still tempted by a carbon build and did consider the Chinese rims but didn't have quite enough faith to take the plunge at the time.

Same here... looked at the various options and came back to the Archetypes. I have a wheel built up with an A23 and have to say the Archetypes look cosmetically better. Also looked at the 340s and love the look of Stans rims, but was a little scared off by previous cracking issues (although I think that issue was on their initial version of the rim).

The Archetypes are not the lightest rims and hence when built up with 32 spokes not actually the lightest wheelset, but adding the disc rotors to the wheels added an extra 300g (pair). I realise that actually building a light disc wheelset is not that easy and actually for what they will be used for (general and winter duties) having a bullet proof set of wheels was a better option than trying to build the lightest set.
    Simon
  • epirb
    Appreciate the reassurance, another set of archetypes it is then.

By any chance has anyone built a set of 28H, 3 cross, on Novatec D711/712SB's?

Just want to check spoke lengths, I'm thinking 292mm L and 294mm R should do front and rear?
  • ugo.santalucia
    epirb wrote:
    Appreciate the reassurance, another set of archetypes it is then.

By any chance has anyone built a set of 28H, 3 cross, on Novatec D711/712SB's?

Just want to check spoke lengths, I'm thinking 292mm L and 294mm R should do front and rear?

Chack again... normally at the rear the split is negligible with those hubs... you should be able to use the same size for left and right... the front has a split of 3 mm instead
  • epirb
    Glad I asked... the problem is I haven't got the hubs yet, they're in the post.
    Do the dimensions below look correct?

Front - PCD = 58/45 | C-LF = 23.8 | C-RF 38.2
    Rear - PCD = 58/49 | C-LF = 22.2 | C-RF 36.2

which when using an ERD of 595 gave me spoke lengths:

FL= 292.2, FR= 294.6
    RL= 292.1, RR= 294.1
  • ugo.santalucia
    epirb wrote:
    Glad I asked... the problem is I haven't got the hubs yet, they're in the post.
    Do the dimensions below look correct?

Front - PCD = 58/45 | C-LF = 23.8 | C-RF 38.2
    Rear - PCD = 58/49 | C-LF = 22.2 | C-RF 36.2

which when using an ERD of 595 gave me spoke lengths:

FL= 292.2, FR= 294.6
    RL= 292.1, RR= 294.1

No, you've got the rear C-LF and C-RF inverted (it's an error on the BDOP website where you got them, I suppose)... it's 36 on the left and 22 on the right. Archetype is 592-593, not 595 as stated on their website and elsewhere
  • epirb
    Great stuff. Thanks for your help.

I picked those dimensions up from http://issuu.com/novatectaiwan/docs/novatec_hub_dimensions, but I probably misinterpreted the offset value.

ERD of 592-593 would explain why the spokes on my last build where slightly long. Even though I measured it, obviously not very accurately.

Thanks again.
  • ugo.santalucia
    You should get the same length for R and L at the rear and 3 mm difference at the front... if you then plot the rim ERD correctly, you're on the right track