KMC Chain to replace Tiagra 10 speed

chrisaonabike
chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
Thinking of getting KMC this time around (2nd new chain).

However, there are several - not sure how to choose.

For instance

X10-73 at £20,

X10-93, about the same, in the sale,

X10-EL for £25, or

X10-SL at £30

What are the differences? Just weight, or would I expect the expensive ones to last a lot better?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

TIA
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Comments

• simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    I think chains are chains are chains, largely. Unless the bike is your Super Record clad TT machine that lives a pampered lifestyle, only leaves the house on race days, and the consumables for which combined could buy a reasonably nice complete bike, I don't see the need to spend a lot. I definitely don't think there's any point putting an expensive chain on a bike that sees year round/foul weather use.

YMMV, however - I should add that I use 5 speed, and therefore have been spoiled by long lasting consumables. ;)
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Have a look at this link, explains the differences for the chains you list.

http://www.kmcchain.eu/products-multipl ... derailleur

My road bike came fitted with an X10L silver chain, nickel plated with slotted inner/outer plates, KMC have renamed this (X10EL). Seems like a perfectly adequate chain to me. I purchased a few when they were on offer at £15. Unless you want the extra weight saving of the X10SL, I'd use the X10EL or the X10.93.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Thanks for this, really helpful. I went for the 93.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Most cost-effective 10 speed chain I found when looking recently was the Shimano 5701 on sale at Wiggle for I think under £13. It also came out pretty well in the German Tour magazine wear tests a year ago. Slotted inner plates too!
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I believe KMC make chains for Shimano. The best benefit of KMC chains is that you don't need an expensive tool to take them apart.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR