Cannondale Supersix-evo 105 6 - is it a good deal?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited September 2014 in Commuting chat
Cannondale Supersix-evo 105 6. £1399 at Evans Cycles, now is this a really good deal for what has traditionally been a really good bike, or is there a catch and Cannondale are just using the Supersix name on a cheaper, heavier carbon frame (T600) and I should perhaps look elsewhere to maybe the Dedaccai Gladiatore, Wilier GTR GT, Boardman SLS 9.0 or Pro Carbon?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec054394
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Sounds perfectly good, but not stunning.
    Same price as this for example
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3501
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    Cycle to work scheme limited.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Cycle to work scheme limited.

just beware that personally paying over the top of the grand does funny/illegal things to the agreement but generally is accepted...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    edited July 2014
    It's an utterly great frame/bike which is only marginally held back by limited wheels and poor tyres (though not as dramatically as the awful rims on the new CAAD 8 ). The Canyon wins by being 11 speed, but if you can live with 10 speed and are limited to Evans then go for it.
  • DonDaddyD
    Not limited to Evans, can get a bike from anywhere that can accept a Cycle Scheme voucher.

Won't order a Ribble or anything as it is important to me that I test ride and am sized up for the bike.

The 'Dale interests me because of the price an it looks nice.
    Food Chain number = 4

• tetm
    If you want it for just going fast* then get the Evo, if you don't want to spend your days with your chin at the same height as your arse get the Synapse - the new Synapse is a very lovely beast too.

*fast by the rider's perception, not necessarily the fastest.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Won't order a Ribble or anything as it is important to me that I test ride and am sized up for the bike.

Why do you need to be sized up? The Kuota fitted presumably? You haven't grown or shrunk since then? Assuming that, you just buy something of similar geometry. Sitting on a bike in a shop won't tell you anything you don't know better from riding the Kuota for thousands of miles. Nor will test riding a new bike unless you can do so for a useful distance - eg say 40 miles.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DonDaddyD
    As much as the Kuota fitted, towards the end riding it would hurt my shoulders and my ankles - this was part of the reason I moved her on.

I also grew to not love the twitchy shorter wheelbase compared to the sure-footedness of my SCR. Ultimately, the Kuota was an aggressive bike and when I bought her I loved that but fatherhood made me a different rider.

It's been a few years and I think its best I'm appropriately measured.
    Food Chain number = 4

• vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ultimately, the Kuota was an aggressive bike and when I bought her I loved that but fatherhood made me a different rider.

Umm ... have you ridden a supersix? They are not exactly un-aggressive. Still really nice bikes though - I loved mine.
  • tetm
    vermin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ultimately, the Kuota was an aggressive bike and when I bought her I loved that but fatherhood made me a different rider.

Umm ... have you ridden a supersix? They are not exactly un-aggressive. Still really nice bikes though - I loved mine.

This^

I wouldn't say my Evo is twitchy in any way, but it's certainly very agile and responsive. If you don't want aggressive then maybe go Synapse or CAAD 8, it's a shame they haven't discounted the same level Synapse too.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It's been a few years and I think its best I'm appropriately measured.

That's probably sensible but that's something ideally independent of a specific frame choice.

As for wheelbase - that can be used to shortlist frames before you've even seen any - just check the geometry.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    The Kuota Kharma is relaxed geometry bike IMO