rear derailleur issues.

damageandy
damageandy Posts: 6
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
bike is a 2009 specialized fsr xc pro, not done that many miles.
its 3 rings upfront and 9 tooth cassette, and was all running i thought perectly.

the rear mech got a tap on a boulder and then shortly after gear issues started.

when on either the two smaller front cogs and on the smaller higher cassette gears the chain is jamming and jumping off from the lower jockey wheel. (not too bad on lowers gears - and works fine on the largest front chainring).

just assumed bent hanger - although it was a light knock, i think it just broke the cage which was super thin from rubbing
Had a look today and the lower jockey wheel is rather worn and the chain has rubbed through the derailleur cage (swapped in a new jckey wheel - no differnece). So it looks like there has been an issue for a while, do you think its a still just a bent hanger or a dodgy rear mech?

thanks, Andy
IMG_2779_zps0f9e0ba4.jpg
IMG_2780_zps873e22fe.jpg

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Looks like the mech is twisted. Need a pic directly from behind to properly tell.
  • thanks for the reply :D

yeah the mech doe look twisted, strangly tho if it was straight the chain woud be at a stranger angle and what to come off even more.
    IMG_2781_zpsef9662d9.jpg
    IMG_2782_zps23a72479.jpg
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Looks bent, but need a bigger cog at the front to extend it a bit to be sure.

Jockey wheel teeth look more or less none existent too! Which won't help guide the chain.
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    The chain appears to be incorrectly routed through the rear dearailleur - it's on the wrong side of the tab cage.
  • pic on th largest front cog
    IMG_2792_zps67fdd865.jpg

looks strighter when on thee big cog and as said works perfectly on it, i know the jockey is bad but i tried a new spre one on it and it made no difference at all.

@bikeaholic - oh yeah my fault, its not been ridden like that just oversite when putting chain back through, and makes no difference to the chain slipping off the lower wheel.

Only thing that has improved it abit is winding tension screw in, before it fell off on any rear gear when on the two smaller front rings, winded it in and will stay on from 32-26, but go and higher it seems to change angle too much and slipp off and jam

thanks
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    bikaholic wrote:
    The chain appears to be incorrectly routed through the rear dearailleur - it's on the wrong side of the tab cage.
    This, and doesn't even seem to be running on the lower jockey wheel.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    bikaholic wrote:
    This, and doesn't even seem to be running on the lower jockey wheel.

as said not ran like that just oversight when essng today, well yes this is the whole point of my post - to find out why its leaving the jockey wheel when in lower gears
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    With no teeth to keep it on the Jockey wheel it won't stay there, also the mech looks bent making it worse.

New mech time.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Rear mech looks twisted. Jockey wheels are well gone.

As said above - treat yourself to a new mech & possibly a hanger too, Just Incase! Always good to have a spare!
  • cheers for the repies, 99% sure it was just a bent mech cage, ive twisted it back by eye and its runnig fine now, shoud keep me goin until a new mech arrives, thank.