Edinburgh to Aberdeen (Sustrans Route 1) - 1-3 August

bobmcstuff
bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
edited August 2014 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

Have organised a charity cycle ride with work from Edinburgh to Aberdeen 1st-3rd August, we're taking it quite relaxed and doing it in 3x~60 mile days stopping overnight in St Andrews and Montrose.

I've said I would plan in a good number of break stops because a lot of the participants haven't done much cycling before (there's going to be 17 of us on the first day, then about 12 thereafter).

Was wondering if anyone who is familiar with parts of the route can advise on any particularly good stops/cafes/pubs that are either on or close to the route?

Also any general tips greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I'd checkout Kinross and Falkland.

Kinross has a very active cycling club so I suspect there will be cafes etc there used to cyclists.

Falkland because it is touristy and pretty so will attract lots of visitors.

Carnoustie is a nice little place which attracts visitors so you should find something there.
  • bobmcstuff
    Cool thanks, looking at Kinross for lunch stop on the first day then (as it's pretty much halfway between Edinburgh and St Andrews), and Falkland for an afternoon coffee stop.

Once we get up past Montrose I'm pretty familiar with the area as I cycle out that way quite often. Just need a couple of stops between St Andrews and Montrose then! Carnoustie clearly one. I guess Dundee for a snack as we pass through.
  • navrig2
    I'd stop in the Ferry rather than Dundee. Plenty of food places there.
  • bobmcstuff
    We ended up actually not stopping in Dundee/Broughty at all as the weather was disgusting... Strong headwind and rain all day Saturday. We kept on and stopped for lunch in Carnoustie.

Falkland was absolutely gorgeous, a stunning little village, not what I was expecting at all - would definitely recommend stopping there.

Here is a gratuitous picture of us in Stonehaven at lunchtime yesterday (opposite the Marine, great pub):
    10517378_10100878312746623_724307198130382636_o.jpg

If anyone else is planning to do this part of National Route 1 feel free to ask any questions.
  • navrig2
    Well done.
  • bobmcstuff
    Thank you :D

We raised over £2k for these guys - http://www.venturescotland.org.uk/aboutus.htm , when you include gift aind and our company's 75% fund matching we're up towards £4k, which is quite good.

Cycling itself was fairly easy if you've done much cycling, could easily do as a 2-dayer. Some of our group found it pretty difficult.