Specialized Stumpjumper

ryanroberts
ryanroberts Posts: 6
edited August 2014 in MTB general
Hi all,this is my first post so please be kind.

I've just bought a second hand specialized fsr comp

It aint too bad,it's just i've noticed the brakes seem to be lacking something.

I rang ebc and spoke to them about red stuff pads and bigger rotors.

They told me that there was two different types of fittings for the calipers.
I was just wondering if someone on here knew what the difference was and which ones I would need?

I know the standard brakes are juicy 5's

Thanks

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    They told me that there was two different types of fittings for the calipers.
    I was just wondering if someone on here knew what the difference was and which ones I would need?

The two different types are:
    1) Post-mount (PM) - frame/fork has two pillars with internal threads - callipers and/or adapters screw into these.

2) International standard (IS) - frame/fork has two tabs with holes right through them - adapters have internally threaded holes and are held in place by a bolt through the frame tabs and into these threaded holes.

InternationalStandard_PostMount.jpg

look at your frame and forks to see which fitting you need at each end (they may not be the same) then you need to find adapters that are the right size for your chosen rotors and match the appropriate fittings standard.
  • EBC told me that they come with relocation brackets as standard
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Before you throw new rotors on, work out what's actually wrong, if anything.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • When i bought it I was told it needed pads.

I havent even used it properly yet.I wanted to get the brakes sorted first

I'm gonna be changing the fluid as well
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    EBC told me that they come with relocation brackets as standard

What do?
  • The uprated rotors.they come with relocation brackets for the calipers
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Change the pads first, before you start faffing with rotors and what not.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I take it the Stumpy is a 2013 model if it has Elixir 5 brakes.
    What size frame is it?
    S or M should have 180mm (f) and 160mm (r) rotors and L or XL 200mm and 180mm rotors. You shouldn't need any bigger unless you are doing mental downhills.

I have a 2011 Stumpy FSR with Elixir R brakes and 180 / 160 rotors and they stop me fine, and I weigh 110kg.

Change the pads for some decent ones (I use Superstar) and maybe give the brakes a bleed and they should be fine.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Thanks for all the help.

Looks like i'll change the pads and bleed the system

Hopefully that'll cure the problem
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Don't bleed them unless you're 100% sure they need it.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They're Avids. They'll need it.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Try a ghetto bleed first - Get some zip-ties, pull on the brakes as hard as you can and then zip-tie the levers to your bars/grips. Leave over night and then see if they feel any better the next day.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    JBA wrote:

He said Juicy 5's so it's much older than 2013.
    If they're Avids they will need bleeding, learn to do it yourself, they will need doing regularly. Or spend £70 on a set of Shimano Deore brakes which are much better and more reliable.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    JBA wrote:

He said Juicy 5's so it's much older than 2013.

Ah, yes. I blame it on speed reading in work. :oops:
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Yeah I'd swap to shimanos, had the crappy juicy 3's and the bleeding of them was a mare using 5.1dot fluid, trying to knock all the bubbles out of the syringes then the pulling, pushing etc on two syringes so swapped to shimano and what a breeze and I'm a novice.
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    I have the 2008 Stumpy Fsr Comp and that came with Juicy 5s. In the end i got rid of mine as they constantly rubbed and needed bleeding a fair bit. Also the pads are very fiddly to change. I would say as above change them for Shimano. I'm running XTs and the difference is night and day!
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.