Fork Upgrade - Carrera Vulcan

Felipe2105
Felipe2105 Posts: 68
edited July 2014 in MTB general
Hi,

I think i need to upgrade the forks on my Carrera Vulcan. Can anyone advise on a good replacement (that's not massively expensive?). Not sure on the spec I need to look for though so just need a bit of advice :)

My bike is this one - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -12-45673/

Thanks guys!

Comments

• dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    How about Suntour Raidon or Epicon - both available in 120mm.
    Look on ebay - can be had for decent price.
    Or look in the sales section on here.

You'll need 1 1/18" non -tapered steerer.
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Merlin have some good deals on Rockshox forks at the moment: http://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-su ... rks-44227/

A Recon would be a good upgrade. A Reba would be even better, if your budget stretches that far. Rockshox Recon comes in a few flavours: Recon Silver and Recon Gold TK are coil-sprung forks and the Recon Gold RL is an air-sprung fork. Despite what Merlin's page says, the Recon Gold RL doesn't come with Motion Control compression adjustment, just lockout.

As previous poster said, Suntour Raidon or Suntour Epicon would be an improvement over what's already there. Epicon is a lighter and slightly higher spec fork than the Raidon. Like the Recon, the Raidon also comes in coil versions (X3 I think) and air (X2 and X1, I think) versions.

Like said previously, you'll need a fork with a straight 1 1/8" steerer. Your bike already has a 120mm fork (according to the page you linked to) so you'll probably want another 120mm travel fork, although from my experiences buying a new fork lately, 100mm ones may be a bit cheaper.
  • Felipe2105
    Felipe2105 Posts: 68
    Thanks a lot for your replies, definitely know what I need to be looking for now!

Just need to work out a budget :)
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    If you can get a good deal on one also put rockshox rebas on your list.

merlin cycles or crc etc usually have good deals on and also check the forum, i bought some rebas on the form for a good price and they are great forks on my trek that i upgraded from the rubbish suntour forks.
  • mattwind
    mattwind Posts: 9
    Just fitted an Epicon to my son's Hotrock 24 today. Advertised on ebay as 100mm, these can be set at anything between 80 and 120mm quite easily. I took his down to 80mm (he didn't want a chopper!!) and they seem great for £130 new. They'll also be fairly future-proof as we can up the travel/spring rate as he grows/changes bike. They are also 500g lighter than the fork I took off. Overall I'm very impressed.