Shimano 105 5800

nickponty
nickponty Posts: 61
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Currently looking at upgrades for my 2013 Trek 1.5 as can't really justify a whole new bike. Been umming and arring about new wheels, but am quite tempted by the new 105 groupset (http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ook-40450/) to replace the Tiagra on my Trek. Reading a bit about it it seems the new 105 is effectively the same level as Ultegra a year or two ago. It's for sale (though not yet in stock) through Chain Reaction Cycles for £329 which seems like a great deal. Or would I get better value from a £329 set of wheels?

N

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Are you still using your stock Bontrager wheels? I had those when I had my Madone 2.1 (I think they are the same wheels) and swapped them for RS80 (they are RS81 now) they made a massive difference to the ride, must faster to accelerate, corner, everything. So to answer your question, yes you would get a much bigger difference spending that cash on wheels instead of a groupset.

Not to mention, your wheels are probably not 11 speed compatible anyway? So you'd need to buy some 11 speed wheels first.
  • nickponty
    Yes, still on the stock wheels, not sure which model but assume they are the bog standard ones. Hadn't clocked the lack of 11 speed compatibility though, thanks.
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    Wheels will make a noticeable difference as you will probably loose weight and rolling weight combined.

However the new 105 Groupset is almost as light as the Current Ultegra - so that is also a weight loss in comparison to Tiagra- but not rolling weight. (Would also say the new 105 is closer to the current Ultegra than the older versions as the brakes and gear designs are almost identical)
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Most sensible approach would be to buy a new set of wheels which nowadays will inevitably be set up with an 11-speed freehub. However the majority if not all will be supplied with the required spacer to allow you to keep your current 10-speed Tiagra drivetrain.

You will see a much more noticeable difference with new wheels than spending £320 odd on 11-speed 105 5800 - bearing in mind, as pointed out above, that you will also need new wheels to match the 11-speed cassette.

For factory built wheels this is about the best bang for your buck out there at the moment and cheaper than 11-speed 105:-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zond ... -wheelset/
  • nickponty
    Thanks, they sound brilliant but I just can't bring myself to put that rear wheel on my bike, just don't like how the spoke are arranged... Have heard they have a lovely freewheel noise though!