Wheels

birdie23
birdie23 Posts: 457
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Due to some pretty bad luck I'm currently without a rear wheel as spokes for Easton EA50 Aeros aren't too easy to get right now...

As a result I need to buy a new wheelset ahead of the RideLondon100 so not enough time to have something built.

I've got a max budget of £500 but that's certainly not a target and I'd like the wheels to be an upgrade from my EA50s and my stock Easton Cube wheels (original front, AXR rear - warranty replacement that is being warrantied again...)

Ideally I want a wide rim but it's not essential.

So far I've seen the Bontrager Race Lite TLR and the Mavic Kyrium Elite S though the Mavic's aren't a wide rim.

Also I've seen the Easton EA90 RT cheap but they are Dura Ace freehub body and I don't know how easy/cheap it'd be to put the standard Shimano body on.

Any other recommendations?
2012 Cube Agree GTC

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    I don't see the problem, if these are your wheels

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/easton-ea50-aer ... ear-wheel/

Any spoke of the correct length will be absolutely fine and any decent shop should be able to replace the broken spoke and check the wheel. You are in Luton, so a bit out of the way, otherwise I could fix it for you
    left the forum March 2023
  • birdie23
    I don't see the problem, if these are your wheels

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/easton-ea50-aer ... ear-wheel/

Any spoke of the correct length will be absolutely fine and any decent shop should be able to replace the broken spoke and check the wheel. You are in Luton, so a bit out of the way, otherwise I could fix it for you

Any spoke other than the same will void the warranty according to the shop. They're an Easton centre so assume they'd be clued up...

I've been without it a month now for this reason anyway and now the freehub on my spare has gone. Can't afford to be without as I commute on the bike too as well as having the RideLondon just round the corner.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • ugo.santalucia
    It seems to me that you are falling for the corporate blurb and BS. You fit a different spoke, then when finally your boutique shop decides to bother to get the proper spoke that doesn't void the warranty (which in the meantime might expire), you cut the non original spoke with a pair of cable cutters and nobody will ever be able to tell it was there. In the meantime you use your wheels. I can assure you there is no way they will ever be able to tell

Is it better to have a warranty back up that leaves you stranded without wheels or be a bit creative and being able to ride your wheels?
    If your warranty forces to to spend 500 quid to be on the road, it seems to me it's pretty worthless anyway... :roll:

But, your call, if you prefer to spend money instead...

PS: Easton generally use Sapim spokes, which are freely available... so you might be able to get even the "original spoke"

PPS: you can source a freehub for the other wheel too!
  • birdie23
    They've got the spokes on order. Hardly their fault, it's entirely Easton's fault.

I'll ring them. They have the wheel so as it stands I am totally stranded and as I said. Time is quite tight.

I'm actually kind of hoping to get something new and reliable. I only have the EA50s because my stock wheel tore a spoke through its rim and I had to get a replacement set while I waited on the warranty (that took 8 months) as ex-demo they were only £200.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • ugo.santalucia
    birdie23 wrote:
    They've got the spokes on order. Hardly their fault, it's entirely Easton's fault.

I'll ring them. They have the wheel so as it stands I am totally stranded and as I said. Time is quite tight.

They might be clued up as you say, but they are not helpful... you need wheels and they are not able to put you on the road with a "temporary spoke"... so you have to buy new wheels in the meantime... you might rate them, but if they can't solve the simplest of problems, they are just a bunch of time wasters, I'm afraid...

Back to your original question... you seem to be the "spoke breaking type" judging by your recent history. I suggest not to bother with expensive wheels and get a pair of Shimano 501 instead, while your warranty claims get sorted. They will be more than adequate for a while.

Or the opposite, get a pair of Lightweight "uberalles" or whatever they are called... :wink:
  • birdie23
    I actually don't rate the shop at all, very unwelcoming and at times just rude but they just happen to be convenient as I don't have a car and I can get to where they are.

I do seem to have a lack of luck with spokes. I've broken two but at about 78kg I don't think I should be.

The AXR isn't being warrantied for a spoke issue. The freehub has a problem which has been there as long as I've had that wheel.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • birdie23
    I've just seen the thread on Campag Zonda wheels. Are those worth a shout?

Are they an upgrade on the EA50 Aeros?

As I've said earlier the EA50s were a bit of an emergency purchase and I've never been fully happy with how they spin up or climb. Great once up to speed but not always great at getting there.

I'm looking to do the RideLondon100 as fast as I can so don't really want to put something like the R501s on?
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I hated my EA50s. They were a massive pain in the a*se to change tyres on, I had a couple of spoke failures, and the rear hub ended up eating itself. Once you get them back, sell them.

I'm really happy with my Zondas and I was really happy with my hand built Open Pros.
  • birdie23
    Thanks for the Zonda feedback Jonny.

Anyone any thoughts on Ultegra 6800 wheels. Between these and the Zondas now I think.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC