BMC GF01 vs Trek Domane 5.9 Di2

donboogie
donboogie Posts: 75
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm riding a 2011 Scott CR1 Pro with Ultegra 6700. It's been a great bike. I'm 6', 95kg and the size large has been a good fit. One downside is the standard crank, which makes the hills a bit tougher. Other than that it's been pretty good for the past 3 seasons / 6,000 km. But I'm interested in an upgrade, with the intention of keeping the Scott as a winter bike.

I'm narrowing my search to the GF01 and the Domane. The only decision that I've made is that I want to give Ultegra Di2 a go. I rarely ride in bad weather so I'm going to pass on disc brakes for the time being.

The BMC GF01 has really been a cool looking bike and has gotten my attention since it first came out. Aesthetically the design really appeals to me; the bike has the 'it' factor. It certainly is a more unique choice than going the Trek route. I've never had any interest in the Trek brand, but the Domane has earned amazing reviews. By all reports, either bike would be a good choice for long, forgiving rides on less than perfect roads.

The wheelset is irrelevant because I intend to continue with my custom wheels (HED Belgium with Chris King R45). And I don't need a saddle either.

For the BMC I am thinking of getting a 2014 frameset in the team red design (there may also be some 2013s around, and I'm not aware of any difference between the 2013 and 2014 GF01s), and getting it built with the Di2 and perhaps 3T bar/stem. For the Trek, I would wait for the 2015 Domane 5.9 in the black/red/white combo. The 2014 looks ok but I'm not convinced about the blue colour.

In terms of cost, I figure the BMC will come out to be about 1/3 more than the Trek. I may be able to negotiate a good deal on an older BMC frameset, but with the Trek I will have an extra set of wheels and saddle to sell, which would make a small difference.

Any comments on these bikes are welcome. Specifically, if anyone has tried both bikes, preferably with the same wheels on each, I would love to hear a comparison. Thanks!

Comments

• bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    I have the Trek 5.9 and it really is as superb as they say.
    By far the comfiest fast bike I`ve ever ridden and I love mine. It takes the sting out of the worst roads, and when I first got it I was aiming at potholes cause I could not believe the ride.

I`m looking to upgrade the wheels, although the Bontragers on it are pretty good.
    Di2 is outstanding :D , faster than a very fast thing.

Not sure about the BMC, but it`s a lifetime warranty on the Trek frame as well.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    I know Evans were doing the BMC GF01 ultegra 2013 in some sizes at a a decent discount.

I tried one as I have a teammachine which I love and wondered whether I would love the GF01 as much. I didn't. It just doesn't feel as alive and as direct as the teammachine - understandable really as BMC wanted a bike with a more forgiving ride - and it is comfortable.

I love Di2. It'll be on my next bike.
  • Maxxypriest
    Maxxypriest Posts: 231
    Or an Argon 18 Gallium Pro?

I've come from a CR1 pro 2011 (56 L) and a similar weight/height as yourself and doing just that - with DA rather that Di2 though

http://www.primera-sports.com/products/ ... 19235.aspx

I'm sure Primera would build a Di2 version for you or you could buy the Frame & Forks and get a Di2 from kit from Merlin or similar?

Just a thought
  • stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    edited July 2014
    The Domane is an impressive bike. Doesn't feel that racy but the clock says it's fast. And the IsoSpeed frame is about more than comfort, delivering the grip to drive thru bumpy corners.
    I have two big reservations however:
    1) The position belongs on a shopping bike. Too high at the front and too short in the top tube. I've fixed it with a slammed 17 degree, 130mm stem and a different seat post but it looks odd and I'd like another 10mm.
    2) The BB90 bottom bracket is a poor design. On mine, the bearing fit is best described as drop in and rattle around. And the frame and bearing seals seem designed to keep water in so expect < 4000 km if you ride thru a wet winter like we had this year.

That said, I like the bike so much I'm going to try to get a deal on the Domane Classic this autumn (But I will insist on stripping the BB before accepting it).
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    stanthomas wrote:
    The Domane is an impressive bike. Doesn't feel that racy but the clock says it's fast. And the IsoSpeed frame is about more than comfort delivering the grip to drive thru bumpy corners.
    I have two big reservations however:
    1) The position belongs on a shopping bike. Too high at the front and too short in the top tube. I've fixed it with a slammed 17 degree, 130mm stem and a different seat post but it looks odd and I'd like another 10mm.
    2) The BB90 bottom bracket is a poor design. On mine, the bearing fit is best described as drop in and rattle around. And the frame and bearing seals seem designed to keep water in so expect < 4000 km if you ride thru a wet winter like we had this year.

That said, I like the bike so much I'm going to try to get a deal on the Domane Classic this autumn (But I will insist on stripping the BB before accepting it).

Do you maybe think you bought the wrong sized bike ?
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • kingtubby
    kingtubby Posts: 45
    That bike could be a little small for you, I love mine, it is quick, especially into a long ride when others are getting a bit fatigued, and you should look the business on it.
  • stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    Do you maybe think you bought the wrong sized bike ?
    Yes, but only in the sense that there isn't a right sized Domane for me. My complaint that the position is overly upright has been echoed by several people and cited as the reason they didn't buy one. The Domane Classic addresses my fit issues and so it's my n+1.
  • donboogie
    donboogie Posts: 75
    Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else with experience riding both of these bikes?