bib shorts or saddle for long rides

shamsasa
shamsasa Posts: 39
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
Hi

I know that this topic has been disused a ten times at least, but I am still looking for a bib shorts with a good padding that could keep me riding for a longer times. I am a heavy rider with a 278 lb of weigh coming from 300 lb.

I am asking people who are in the same boat as me. How did you solve this problem?

Finally, if I changed the saddle, will I be able to ride longer with a good bib shorts?

thanks in advance

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Comfort doesn't necessarily mean more padding. Decent quality bib shorts with a saddle that fits your sit bones is all you need.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Correct positioning will make as much, if not more, difference than the bib shorts you are wearing and probably about the same as the saddle.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    The type of shorts/bib does not make a difference if the saddle is not good for you.

I suggest you get a saddle that gives lots of support.
    A possible choice is a Brooks B-72 - it is wide, comfortable, and somewhat heavy, and it will help you to ENJOY riding.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Trial and error.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    I just got some altura gel bib shorts from Evans, £30 reduced from £50 ish I think. Anyway they are very comfortable and have taken away my saddle soreness . I'm a big lad too at 90kg.
  • shamsasa
    Really appreciate the time you guys took to reply. I already ordered dhb Vaeon Roubaix Padded Bib Short. I hear they are good in some way. If the problem continued to exist, I will have to look for another saddle that is wider. I have tried Fizik Arione and a Prologo that I don't know. The Brooks B-72 looks way out-of-date for my Nashbar CR4. Any other suggestion you have? please by all means.
  • HebdenBiker
    HebdenBiker Posts: 787
    Specialized do a range of saddles in different dimensions to suit the rider. Find a Specialized Body Geometry dealer, and they'll have you sit on a memory-foam pad in order to get the shape of your arse (specifically, the position of your sit bones), then will sell you a saddle that matches it. I believe they come with a "bring it back and change it if it doesn't fit" type of guarantee, too.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    shamsasa wrote:
    Really appreciate the time you guys took to reply. I already ordered dhb Vaeon Roubaix Padded Bib Short. I hear they are good in some way. If the problem continued to exist, I will have to look for another saddle that is wider. I have tried Fizik Arione and a Prologo that I don't know. The Brooks B-72 looks way out-of-date for my Nashbar CR4. Any other suggestion you have? please by all means.

I was going to suggest a Brooks B17 saddle (no tractor springs on that one); I have one on my winter bike and from the moment I fitted it I stopped thinking about posterior comfort. OK, it looks a little incongruous on a lightweight alloy bike, but you can't see it when you're riding.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    marcusjb wrote:
    Correct positioning will make as much, if not more, difference than the bib shorts you are wearing and probably about the same as the saddle.

The best bib shorts in the world and a saddle as good as if you've had it custom made for you won't make up for poor position on the bike. You'll still be uncomfortable. Lever angle, saddle to bar drop, set back and reach all have an impact on saddle comfort

Bike fits are expensive, mine was £150, but it's money well spent.

But to answer you original question simply: Shorts - you get what you pay for (Some will be advertised as racey, pro cut - avoid these, you want "all day comfort", maybe Assos Cento in TIR fit?). Saddle: At least start with finding one the correct width for your sit bones. Then you can experiment with flat, rounded etc
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • sadlybiggins
    sadlybiggins Posts: 158
    shamsasa wrote:
    I have tried Fizik Arione and a Prologo that I don't know.

My bike came with an Arione and I found it very uncomfortable on longer rides. I changed to a Specialized Toupe Gel and find it very comfortable. I had my sit-bones measured before buying which, as others have said, is key. You don't want to find your saddle is narrower than your sit-bones and that all your weight is on your perineum!
  • shamsasa
    I would like so much to try one of Specialized Saddles. However, where I live is impossible. My only choice is to buy one online and hope that it fits me. I already ordered Selle Italia Max flite Gel Flow Saddle after I checked my sit bones. I read some very good reviews of it. I will try it out and see how it goes.

I am very grateful to all of you.

best Regards
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    If you can only buy online without having an opportunity to try a saddle, maybe look for a Charge Spoon. At about £20 online it's less money to waste if it doesn't suit you; and a lot of people (including me) have found them very good.
  • shamsasa
    A little too late my friend. already ordered the Selle and will receive it tomorrow. I will feed you guys back after the trail.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Since this is in the "beginners" column I'm going to assume that you are having the same problems that ALL beginners face. You want a comfortable ride and you want it now. To be honest it doesn't work that way. It takes a while and some experimenting with saddles, position on the bike, time in the saddle, etc. As for bibs or shorts, as long as they fit you and are of good quality they will work as well as the next brand. It's padding, not magic foam, and there isn't a lot of difference from one quality short to another. At least that's how I see it. :wink:
  • shamsasa
    will, I have been riding for almost a year now. However, I consider my self a beginner. It is because I was not able to ride a long distance rides during that time. I was not able to ride more than half an hour. I thought it could be because of the cheap bib shorts with the poor padding. That is what I am doing now, trying things out. I hope I don't waste alot of money in the process.
  • shamsasa
    Hi
    Yesterday was the test ride for the saddle. I was able to ride for two hours with no problems, except in the last 10 minutes. The pad in my bib started to roll like a rope. It hurt so much. Will the bib needs to be changed. Lucky me, I made an order couple of days ago from wiggle on dhb bibs. I will feed you guys back on how was their test ride. In the end, I will recommend the saddle to any one how is in the same boat as me. Buy it without hesitation.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I did the same and measured myself for a specialized avatar saddle of the right width. I can now ride for hours without problems. Found decent quality properly fitting Lycra shorts improved things still further. Before that any ride of more than an hour was painful on my road bike.
  • Rigga wrote:
    I just got some altura gel bib shorts from Evans, £30 reduced from £50 ish I think. Anyway they are very comfortable and have taken away my saddle soreness . I'm a big lad too at 90kg.
    snap , same here , I recently bought some altura bibshorts and I've tried quite a few different ones believe you me and I personally like them without spending a bomb. I also tried the "Charge Spoon" and the scoop saddles after years on a Toupe and it's taking some adjusting to. I keep a spanner in the pocket and keep tweaking it on a ride back/forward/up/down etc till I get the sweet spot.

It's def a trial and error thing, I buy the saddles second hand and if they don't work for me , flog them on. I've yet to try a Fizik Aliante or Arione but I'm beginning to think the Toupe's for me
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    I'm a similar weight to you, and have struggled finding shorts that fit decently. I've tried the altura progel which the pad was good, but the stitching was crap and seams went quickly, DHB stuff has been pretty good but the pad wasn't as good as the Altura.
    Am currently using Planet X Clubman shorts and to be honest they've been the best of both, they offer a good range of sizes too!

With regard to saddles, I tried loads and ended up with a RSP Carbon saddle which has suited me down to the ground.
  • shamsasa
    Hi

Will, I tried the bibs, and they do not do the job very well. The pad was OK for 30 minutes only. Then, they started to transfer every road little scratch.I thought a chamois creme could ease the problem. I applied some Vaseline as recommended from some web site and it did the job perfectly. I was able to ride for an hour without sores. After that,the sore started to show up. It was not the bibs fault, It was mine. I did not read the details right. I will stick with it until the new bibs arrive. I ordered Adidas Supernova bib shorts after reading so much about their padding. and they were cheep.
    Thanks to all of you who replied. And again, I will feed you back with more details.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Please stop buying more shorts until you have sorted the saddle and possibly bike fit. If you cant ride more than 30 minutes then this has nothing to do with the shorts unless they have a bag of nails for a pad.

It is also unlikely (in my opinion) that Adidas will be as good as DHB, never mind better.
  • shamsasa
    Hi

Buying the Adidas bib shorts was just because I had only two. Regarding it, I read about it's chamois and thought it could be it. Any ways, I had to try.

Thanks
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You don't mention where the pain is which is a good guide to solving it. Also if you wear underwear beneath your bibs it can be really painful. I did this recently leaving my boxers on by mistake and after a couple of hours it was quite painful. Common causes are bike setup including saddle positioning, saddle size / type and clothing.
  • shamsasa
    The pain location is really hard to explain with my language. I am not that good in English anyway. However, I don't wear underwear beneath. I learned that the hard way. But I think because I am a little chubby, the pad is sticking in places like behind my testicles and my thighs. that when I thought it could be the thin pad. I had a thick padding bib shorts which I like, that did not stick. But they become useless after two hours of riding. That is why I started this (journey) to look for the perfect chamois for me.
    I really envy all of you guys because you have the chance of trying before buying. While I don't have this possibility due to the lack in LBSs in my country. It is laughable that we only have Three Stores which only concentrate on selling Bike. Even the maintenance becomes hard when you bring a bike that you did not buy it from them. Anyway, I am not going to complain more than that.
    Thanks for your concern