Called an "idiot" for filtering

abdul12
abdul12 Posts: 16
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
Aoa

Basically stationary traffic and 2 sec less than the lights going green. There is a scooter at 2nd place with ample of space alongside him, and there is a black VW at 3rh place.

I pull up beside the motorcycle (of course filtered before signal went green) and went along with traffic.

Unfortunately driver wasn't happy (as I "illegally" took space with the motorcycle or cutting queues aka filtering) and he honked me as traffic started moving and called me an idiot (literally aloud from his window) after passing me.

Traffic was heavy and after a couple of minutes I think I left him behind in heavy traffic whereas I sped off from there never to see the driver again.

If I did do wrong perhaps it was,not to consider filter nearby a self conscious driver (which I can't really judge).

Description: asian, sikh (turban), 30ish driving a VW black polo or golf.

NB: I have come across this junction numerous times and drivers are OK with the filtering and giving space. Probably out of 99 this was the first driver to have impatience and idiocy to call me an idiot. Never gave me the reason just called me that.

Also, probably he didn't check his blindspot. I have a hunch that he didn't check his blind spots as you are supposed to and I appeared "'in his vision' from nowhere". He might have been startled by this.

I didn't confront and just focused on going away. Certainly no point to stooping to idiocy.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    When riding in the UK, unfortunately this stuff happens.

Best not to give it a second thought, else you'll end up wound up and end up in your own road rage incident.

S'not great, but there's no better alternative.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I agree, it happens, it's a non story, get on with your life!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    You are going to need some thicker skin than that.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Yup. Stop exfoliating.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    If you'd curled one out on his bonnet he would have reason to complain....

So you might want to consider that next time. 8)
  • abdul12
    abdul12 Posts: 16
    If you'd curled one out on his bonnet he would have reason to complain....

So you might want to consider that next time. 8)

Rest on his bonnet? Oh please. 8)
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    abdul12 wrote:
    Aoa
    Description: asian, sikh (turban), 30ish driving a VW black polo or golf.

I'm left unsure as to which group to be uniformly wary of. Is it all Asians, all Sikhs or all black VW Polos (or golfs)!?
  • BobMcbob
    BobMcbob Posts: 104
    When this sort of thing happens a thumbs up to the driver and a cheery smile is my response of choice. A sarcatic 'well done!' is reserved only for the complete imbaciles!

Not point getting annoyed, just not worth it
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    British driver's go on Amber, not green. So he was probably just lifting his clutch when you appeared on his left and gave him a little shock. I'd forget about it.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Every so often you get that. You're perfectly entitled to filter, and it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. Why would cyclists hesitate to overtake drivers when their cars are stuck in a queue? We're just supposed to sit there are we? Like they do when they find themselves 'stuck' behind a cyclist!