Upgrade or New?

Rhod81
Rhod81 Posts: 116
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Evening all.

Im sure this has been covered before but without tracking through pages of old forums, please bear with me!

Is it worth saving my pennies and splashing out on a new steed (i've been looking at the £2k mark Spesh Tarmacs btw) or... Upgrading my current bike (a Specialized Allez Elite).

What i was wondering is at what point do you cut your losses and get a new bike? So far, i have upgraded the standard wheels with some Fulcrum racing 7's which have made a big difference, cassette for an ultegra model, new chain, chain rings, etc. i can feel a knocking bb now so that is next to be looked at...

As for performance, as it is i tend to average 19.5mph and 250ish watts (according to Strava) so im curious as to whether id get much more performance improvements. If i have frame flex or whatever, i dont notice it. To be honest, i quite like the frame and forks, but am i kidding myself if i start upgrading the cranks, bars, etc as knowing me i'd probably end up spending on ultegra-level components and £250 carbon handlebars...

Ta. :D

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I have an Allez and a Tarmac - both same year and frame size. Tbh, there is nothing really between the frames - the wheels and shifters make the difference in feel, but not speed...
    I use the Tarmac as a road bike and I've set the Allez up to TT on .... I'm faster on the Allez .... But the I try harder on it too!