Parked car pulling out in front of me - how to avoid?

notnot
notnot Posts: 284
edited August 2014 in Commuting general
Had a bit of a scare this this week - just managed to avoid hitting a parked car that pulled out in front of me. I was riding just outside of dooring range and managed to swerve the car, but much closer than I'd like :(

Anything I can do to avoid this? I try to keep a good awareness of the road, but it's hard to also keep track of what all the parked cars are doing and if I stayed wide of every car that looked like it might pull out I'd follow a really wobbly line on the road...

In terms of right of way, when I'd cycling down the road I have right of way over cars parked at the side? Not that this would be much consolation if I got hit :(

Comments

• JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Of course you've got right of way there, you're on the road they are pulling out, it's their responsibility to ensure it's clear. Sounds like you were doing everything you could by riding outside the door zone, only thing you can do is keep an eye on where the wheels are pointing when passing parked cars, you might get some warning of someone about to do something daft....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure how a parked car pulls out, presumably you mean previously parked!

Yup, not much you can do, but an ear for engine noises and en eye open for exhaust smoke or movement (vibrating) telling you the engine is running allows you to give it a big more room and to be prepared.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • enisdem
    enisdem Posts: 9
    aggree with all the comments above , in addition i d look for the indication although most of them do not use it. Also i d wear more visible clothing to be seen.

glad you were not injured in that matter though ,

safe ...
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    This is where trail scanning comes in handy, only you're not so worried about the features of the road, more the possible actions of others using it.

You might have seen:
    the lights flash as the alarm/imobiliser was turned off
    someone get in the car
    he reverse lights turn off
    front wheels turning
    slight movement, vibration, dipping
    sometimes you can even spot that there's a driver

If you notice anything like these that suggests a car might pull out slow a little, move further out.

If you are where they'd be looking to check for cars they are more likely to see you. The driver that's about to pull out might still not see you but you'll have more time and space to escape and if there's a car behind you they might see that.

Make yourself big, stand up on the pedals and assume something like the 'attack position' to set yourself up for the evasive maneuver you may need to take. When a driver sees you in that stance they'll see you poised and see you as fast (even if you're not), assertive and taking control so are less likely to pull out assuming you're slow and they'd have time.

Half of cycling safely on the road is about exploiting neurological shortcuts, essentially you are telling the driver what to think so they react before they get a chance to make their own decision.

Being visible on the road is more about road position and riding style than wrapping your self in reflective tape and dayglo gear.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • notnot
    notnot Posts: 284
    Thanks! Will try to keep more of an eye on parked cars, though it's hard on a busy road (and when the type of drivers who'll pull out into a bike seem less likely to indicate :roll: )
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    notnot wrote:
    Thanks! Will try to keep more of an eye on parked cars, though it's hard on a busy road (and when the type of drivers who'll pull out into a bike seem less likely to indicate :roll: )

its not the easiest thing to keep on top of on a busy road with all the other potentially hazardous stuff going on, you will miss the cues sometimes, simply because someone does something unexpected or theres something more dangerous happening elsewhere

Ive had cars who were indicating left parked at the side of the road,then just turn right in front of me & not all cars make much noise or have exhaust smoke either. Modern cars are quite less visibly polluting (though not so much in winter but that tends to be water vapour from cold engines, so no good if the engines been running for a while) and I encountered a Renault Twizzy today, sort of a cross between a C5 and a Smart car, totally silent electric car with stupid torque acceleration, who was just using the "well I cant hear other motor vehicles, so I wont bother looking for anything else and use the force" approach to driving, I had to screech a "nooooo!!!!" at them to get their attention and stop them pulling straight out of their drive into me. and then there are still the idiots who see you, know you are there, and will ignore all that anyway and still try to force their way back in even though it means a collision if you dont back off :roll:
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I've got a light (Exposure Joystick) mounted on my crash hat for exactly this reason. It's bright enough to hopefully catch the driver's attention in their wing mirrors. No idea if it works really, but it can't hurt.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    It happens when drivers sit in the car for several minutes (so you can't see them get in) then pull out.
    Watch for movement of the drive wheels and front steering.
    Stay wide, as you do.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I've got a light (Exposure Joystick) mounted on my crash hat for exactly this reason. It's bright enough to hopefully catch the driver's attention in their wing mirrors.

I do this after dark, really gets driver's attention at junctions and roundabouts. I use an LED upgraded AA MagLite, it's not bright enough to dazzle them.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • that right,assertive and taking control so are less likely to pull out assuming you're slow and they'd have time.plGFyZ