ROYCE HUBS

jamie4759
jamie4759 Posts: 117
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello all. My rear Royce Venus hub has been very loud for some time now. At first it was silent, and then it got louder and I purchased the Royce kit with the lube they recommend. The hubs were silent again but over a period of time they became louder and louder, and it got to the stage where I was lubing them (with the kit) around once every few weeks. It then got so bad that I would put the grease into the hub and then the hub would get loud again after only around 45 mins into the ride. I then saw that there was gunge coming from the back of the cassette.The rear hubs was then serviced by a shop that has sold Royce hubs for years. The seal and the bearings were replaced and they said that constantly inserting the grease may not have helped. The hub is now back with me but loud again, almost like Campag Record hubs loud. I don't have a problem with this but Royce say that the hub should be silent. The mechanic that serviced the hub seems to think that Royce hubs are loud generally. Any advice? Paolo, could you answer this please?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I agree with the mechanic, the freehub is generally loud. Not something I would be concerned about... loud is good sign... it's actually when they get silent you need to worry
    left the forum March 2023
  • jamie4759
    Ugo, thanks for that. The mechanic has over 40 years in the trade and works for a very well known Midlands frame builder. It was just that Cliff at Royce thought the hubs should be silent. I thought I was going mad. Thanks for the reply.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Maybe you meant to say the free hub and you said the hub... and Cliff correctly said the hub should be silent
  • jamie4759
    Sorry Ugo, I am a bit confused. My rear hub sounds silent when pedalling, but, when I stop pedalling it sounds reminiscent of my Record hubs, but not as loud as Hope or King hubs. Is it right that the rear hub is loud when not pedalling? Cliff always said he wanted his silent when free wheeling, but I can't get mine to do this unless I empty loads of grease into the hub on a regular basis.
  • ugo.santalucia
    It's fine