lubrication

kayvan
kayvan Posts: 39
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
hi every body
i just happen to buy a can of motorex off road motocycle chain lube and use it on my spesh camber.the result was excelent so far and no mess at all.i was just wondering that wether its safe to use on bike since the main purpose is motorcycles.thanks for your reply and information.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Motorcycle chain lube is intended to be used on o ring chains which actually retain the oil better. It's probably cleaner because it's all gone.
    It's also a much thicker oil and designed to work at much higher loads and higher temperatures.
  • kayvan
    kayvan Posts: 39
    ok but i want to know pros and cons of using that.is it safe ?useless?please give me more information.
    thank you again.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cons, not designed to work with the chain you are using, our chains wear out due to wear between roller and the bushes that are part of the sideplates and wear at the pins, you need chain oil to get into that area to work, motorbike chain oil isn't designed to do that but to protect for wear between rollers and sprockets, it may work, it may not!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's too thick to get in to the wear points on a bicycle chain. It will wear a lot quicker than with a bicycle chain lube.