Beginner - Boardman Race

brantonrhino
brantonrhino Posts: 3
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I am new to the sport and bought a used 2013 Boardman race bike. I like it. The tyres need replacing and I have read lots of reviews that suggest the original tyres are rubbish and should be upgraded. What tyre would anyone suggest would be a sensible upgrade.

The wheels / rims are Mavic CXP22

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• KonkyWonky
    KonkyWonky Posts: 186
    Might be worth stating your budget and what you want from the tyre?
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Hi,

I cycle mainly on flat but country roads so quite a few pot holes and not very smooth. I weigh in about 80Kg!

Budget around £50
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    You'll get loads of different opinions. I don't think you can go too far wrong with Vittoria Rubino Pro II - I believe Merlin Cycles have them heavily discounted in pairs. Some people say that they aren't the grippiest tyre in wet cornering though I've never found that. What I do know is that they roll well and, in my extensive experience at least, they have very good puncture protection. They're by far my favourite all-round tyre.

Other options include Continental GP4000S - but I have found they puncture easily in the wet. Michelin Pro4 are good and can be found at 50% off too.

I'd also recommend going to 25C width rather than 23C that came with you bike most probably. More comfortable ride and possibly faster too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Add in Schwalbe Ultremo ZX to the mix.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schw ... lsrc=aw.ds

Opinions vary and some have found them a bit prone to sidewall cracking.

However they are a great free running tyre and I've found them to be robust enough for my needs over a mix of road conditions. Look out for discount offers although my preferred 25mm version in rarely discounted by very much.