New road cyclist considering Boardman Team Carbon

rodofgod76
rodofgod76 Posts: 31
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi, I'm considering buying a road bike having been able to shed in excess of 10stone thanks mainly to mountain biking and running.

For the past few weeks I've been using my mates' Boardman hybrid and at first found it a little odd having been used to quite a compact mountain bike, but now I'm used to it I really like it, and feel a road bike would be better than a mountain bike for 70 mile rides.

My employer won't do cycle to work, so I'm looking at spending maybe £900 or so. Was tempted to buy a 2013 Giant, Cannondale or Cube from Paul's Cycles, but noticed that Halfords have 10% off road bikes and I'm a BC member so will be able to get a Boardman Team Carbon for £838. I also like the Rose SL2000.

So my question is, would you get the Boardman at that price over the reduced aluminium bikes which nearly all have 105 as opposed to the Boardman's Tiagra/105/FSA Omega.

I don't want to buy an aluminium bike then think I should have bought carbon. Or would the carbon frame provide a good foundation upon which to upgrade?

Comments

• I have the boardman comp. It's brilliant so assume the carbon will be better. I got mine through c2w so next year I will get the carbon. A couple of lads at work got one and love them.
    Specialized Roubiax elite
    Pinarello Uno
    Shwin MTB

http://www.strava.com/athletes/hughes_terry
  • All I can say is that I bought a Boardman Team Carbon four months ago and am very pleased with it. Previously I had a Trek entry level bike that cost about £500, which lasted me about 4 years of intermittent use before the work that needed doing to it was going to cost me almost as much as I paid for it!

So when I came to replace it I had about £1k to spend and looking at the reviews of bikes of that price it came down to either the Boardman or a Rose with aluminium frame. What swung it for me was the 10 percent off with BC and because I really wanted a carbon frame bike. Since I have had it I have done more cycling than ever before including a couple of 80m sportives. The bike is faster than my old bike (as you would expect) and feels great. The only thing I am thinking of upgrading in the short term is the saddle as I don't find it that comfortable on long rides. I also changed the tyres straight away from the Continental Sports it came with to Michelin Pro4's as I had just bought a pair for my old bike.

The only thing to watch for is the quality of the Halfords store you get the bike from. I got mine from Halfords in Bletchley and found them to be fine and set the bike up no problem. They also did the free 6 week check no problem and sorted out a couple of adjustments that I didn't even realise needed doing. But I have another branch of Halfords nearer to me that I would not let anywhere near my bike!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Newbie angst... fear not, nothing wrong with metal...(evn tho I have plastic wheels on mine from time to time)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Go with the Boardman. A friend bought one and I was impressed with what you get for the money. There's nothing wrong with aluminium but it's quite a harsh material. On the upside, it'll take a little more abuse. The Tiagra (which is mostly what the Boardman has) is fine and readily upgradeable when you're ready to 105 or Ultegra.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    My first road bike was a Team Carbon. Great bikes. Buy with confidence!
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • rodofgod76
    Went and tried the Giant Defy 1. Lovely bike, and was able to get it for £900 from the lbs. Then checked out the Boardman and was suitably impressed enough to buy it. Today they have an offer on Boardman's. 10% off on top of the 10% currently off road bikes. So I'm the new owner of a Team carbon, a snip at only £810. Did try to get another 10% off that price but the manager said you couldn't. :x :D
  • meanredspider
    Great price. Save up for a wheel upgrade (RS80 or 81 or similar) as that will really bring the bike to life.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rodofgod76
    I use Shimano SPD pedals on my mtb but my mtb shoes are rather tatty looking now. So thinking of road shoes. I take it SPD SL cleats are the way forward on road bikes?
  • meanredspider
    rodofgod76 wrote:
    I use Shimano SPD pedals on my mtb but my mtb shoes are rather tatty looking now. So thinking of road shoes. I take it SPD SL cleats are the way forward on road bikes?

They're a very good start and give a more stable pedalling platform than SPDs.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    rodofgod76 wrote:

I completely agree regarding the wheel upgrade. My Ksyrium Elites transformed my TC.

I completely disagree regarding pedals. It's all about the quality of the shoes and the way they are attached to the crank arms is largely irrelevant. I use XTR SPD on both my bikes, with Sidi Dragon 3 shoes.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • edindevon
    edindevon Posts: 325
    With the current 20% off road bikes at Halfords, the Boardman Team Carbon is now £799.99. So with the British Cycling discount it should be £720.
  • rodofgod76
    They told me instore that I couldn't use my BC discount as well. And it's not 20% off. It's 10% off then another 10% off that discounted price.
  • edindevon
    01-cycling-banner-27jul-14v2?qlt=85
  • rodofgod76
    :o the offer yesterday was 10% off road bikes plus 10% off Boardman bikes. Which was £810. I was of the belief I could then use my BC discount on top of that but the assistant manager who served me said no you can't. :? I think I'll enquire as to whether they've fleeced me out of my bc discount
  • edindevon
    rodofgod76 wrote:
    :o the offer yesterday was 10% off road bikes plus 10% off Boardman bikes. Which was £810. I was of the belief I could then use my BC discount on top of that but the assistant manager who served me said no you can't. :? I think I'll enquire as to whether they've fleeced me out of my bc discount

I think you were entitled to the discount. The only exclusions for the 10% off are 'website only prices and deals'.
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    £1500 for a Pinarello FP Due, down from £2350. That's a hefty chunk saved.

As for Boardmans, good bikes. Will serve you well.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Yes get the carbon. You can always upgrade the groupset bit by bit later.
  • WozzaTT
    WozzaTT Posts: 3
    rodofgod76 wrote:

Did you speak to them about this? My local Halfords has just confirmed £720 for a Team Carbon (ie 20% off today plus a further 10% off with the BC discount).
  • Jahmoo
    Jahmoo Posts: 168
    Just purchased a Carbon Roubaix, with the knowing I will upgrade as the years go on. Frame comes with. Lifetime warranty, so know it will hopefully out last me.

The ride from Alloy to Carbon is so much better :)
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    You are not entitled to the BC discount on web-only prices, only in-store prices. You used to be able to but this changed about 3 months ago. Happily for many though, Halfords dont seem to have told many of the shop staff...!
  • WozzaTT
    apreading wrote:
    You are not entitled to the BC discount on web-only prices, only in-store prices. You used to be able to but this changed about 3 months ago. Happily for many though, Halfords dont seem to have told many of the shop staff...!

The 20% off today applies to both online and in-store prices. They muttered something about manager's discretion but just applied it anyway.
  • rodofgod76
    WozzaTT wrote:
    rodofgod76 wrote:

Did you speak to them about this? My local Halfords has just confirmed £720 for a Team Carbon (ie 20% off today plus a further 10% off with the BC discount).

Yes, I emailed their customer services. Girl there said she'd spoken to the store in question (Team Valley, Gateshead) and they confirmed they should have discounted the BC discount too. So they've offered me the discount as a refund. Curiously, they told me to go see the very same man who told me I'm "pushing my luck" which I declined to do. So they've offered me a cheque.

So a carbon road bike for under £730 :D and even though I'm a road newbie, it rides like an absolute dream. Like butter in fact, especially when compared to the Boardman aluminium hybrid.
  • WozzaTT
    rodofgod76 wrote:
    WozzaTT wrote:
    rodofgod76 wrote:

Yes, I emailed their customer services. Girl there said she'd spoken to the store in question (Team Valley, Gateshead) and they confirmed they should have discounted the BC discount too. So they've offered me the discount as a refund. Curiously, they told me to go see the very same man who told me I'm "pushing my luck" which I declined to do. So they've offered me a cheque.

So a carbon road bike for under £730 :D and even though I'm a road newbie, it rides like an absolute dream. Like butter in fact, especially when compared to the Boardman aluminium hybrid.

Result! I pick mine up tomorrow - looking forward to it :) .
  • rodofgod76
    I've done around 50miles on mine and the chain rubs like hell on the smaller cogs when using the smaller chainring. Also the middle gears jump like hell.
  • Received a cheque from Halfords for £110. Not sure how they work out £110 mind but that means I paid £700 for a carbon road bike. :)
  • meanredspider
    rodofgod76 wrote:
    I've done around 50miles on mine and the chain rubs like hell on the smaller cogs when using the smaller chainring. Also the middle gears jump like hell.

You just need to learn to index (adjust) the gears...YouTube is your friend
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    rodofgod76 wrote:

I completely agree regarding the wheel upgrade. My Ksyrium Elites transformed my TC.

I completely disagree regarding pedals. It's all about the quality of the shoes and the way they are attached to the crank arms is largely irrelevant. I use XTR SPD on both my bikes, with Sidi Dragon 3 shoes.

SPD-SL pedals and a reasonably stiff shoe are a lot cheaper than SPDs and a very stiff shoe.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • meanredspider
    Bar Shaker wrote:

I'm afraid I simply couldn't disagree more. I have exactly the same set-up as you on my MTB and used to use it on my roadie. I swapped to SPD-SLs on the roadie and was immediately struck by the more stable pedalling platform they gave me. From an engineering perspective, that's not surprising because, unlike SPD, the pedal is the full width of the shoe and is clipped across the shoe too so is a much stiffer system. Sure, if the pedal-cleat-sole interface was infinitely stiff, I'd agree with you, but then we'd not be talking about the stiffness of bike frames either - and we do. SPD pedals are a compromise - they're very good at what they do but simply not as stable as a wider pedal.